Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Ultrabook

Beans

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Ultrabook

Beans

Exclamation Re: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Ultrabook

I received my X1 Carbon a few days ago and installed 12.04 right away. Most of the hardware works out-of-the-box, but I'm finding a few problems.

1. The most annoying problem is with the iwlwifi driver for the Centrino 6205, as there is no Ethernet port on this laptop, and I did not order the USB-Ethernet adapter:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1011623

The driver suffers from known issues involving unreliable connections. These are apparently mitigated by disabling 802.11n, and this seems to be the default behaviour, because I can't connect to any networks above 802.11g speeds (even after loading the kernel module with disable_11n=0). To make matters worse, what is reported as 54 Mbits/s I measured to be closer to 13 Mbits/s.

Connections also sometimes become unresponsive (with full signal bars), requiring me to manually reconnect to the wireless network.

2. The system is occasionally unresponsive when coming out of suspend. More often than that, the wifi refuses to connect to any network after waking up. Either of these require a reboot.

3. It seems that the fingerprint reader (Upek 147e:2020) does not yet have a linux driver:

http://darkblue.homeip.net/fingerpri...Id=235&Posts=0

4. The tp_smapi kernel module that exposes some hardware/firmware features of Thinkpads does not yet support this laptop. However, I did have luck setting battery charge limits using the tpacpi-bat tool, which is part of tpbattstat-applet. The applet only runs under Gnome, but I used the included command-line tool to do this.

UPDATE:
    After connecting to other routers, I see the wifi speed is going above 54 Mbit/s. So this bug probably has something to do with the combination of the Centrino 6205 and my home router. When I get some time I'll probably try putting DD-WRT on the router to see if that resolves it.

Also, it seems that the occasional freezing after suspend is a known touchpad problem affecting multiple devices. Today I was able to launch a console to reboot the machine.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...cs/+bug/976198
    Last edited by ginsu0; September 12th, 2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: update

Beans

How's the heat off this box if you run video all day? Does it stay cool like the T430 or get hot like T400?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by afulldeck View Post
    How's the heat off this box if you run video all day? Does it stay cool like the T430 or get hot like T400?
    Temperature stays in the low 60s playing high-bitrate 1080p video with VLC. That's with VA-API enabled, and CPU utilization (1 core) between 60-90% on the i5-3427U.

The bottom and left side get warm, but the fan ramps up only a few hundred RPM more. Overall, quite silent no matter what I throw at it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ginsu0 View Post
    Temperature stays in the low 60s playing high-bitrate 1080p video with VLC. That's with VA-API enabled, and CPU utilization (1 core) between 60-90% on the i5-3427U.

The bottom and left side get warm, but the fan ramps up only a few hundred RPM more. Overall, quite silent no matter what I throw at it.
    Okay, now I'm salivating. Need to get me a cool running Carbon ultrabook.......

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ginsu0 View Post
    I received my X1 Carbon a few days ago and installed 12.04 right away. Most of the hardware works out-of-the-box, but I'm finding a few problems.

1. The most annoying problem is with the iwlwifi driver for the Centrino 6205, as there is no Ethernet port on this laptop, and I did not order the USB-Ethernet adapter:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1011623

The driver suffers from known issues involving unreliable connections. These are apparently mitigated by disabling 802.11n, and this seems to be the default behaviour, because I can't connect to any networks above 802.11g speeds (even after loading the kernel module with disable_11n=0). To make matters worse, what is reported as 54 Mbits/s I measured to be closer to 13 Mbits/s.

Connections also sometimes become unresponsive (with full signal bars), requiring me to manually reconnect to the wireless network.

2. The system is occasionally unresponsive when coming out of suspend. More often than that, the wifi refuses to connect to any network after waking up. Either of these require a reboot.

3. It seems that the fingerprint reader (Upek 147e:2020) does not yet have a linux driver:

http://darkblue.homeip.net/fingerpri...Id=235&Posts=0

4. The tp_smapi kernel module that exposes some hardware/firmware features of Thinkpads does not yet support this laptop. However, I did have luck setting battery charge limits using the tpacpi-bat tool, which is part of tpbattstat-applet. The applet only runs under Gnome, but I used the included command-line tool to do this.

UPDATE:
    After connecting to other routers, I see the wifi speed is going above 54 Mbit/s. So this bug probably has something to do with the combination of the Centrino 6205 and my home router. When I get some time I'll probably try putting DD-WRT on the router to see if that resolves it.

Also, it seems that the occasional freezing after suspend is a known touchpad problem affecting multiple devices. Today I was able to launch a console to reboot the machine.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...cs/+bug/976198
    I figured out that the wireless issues were related to the Centrino card refusing to connect above 54mbits/s on the 2.4 GHz band, even with 802.11n-only routers. I bridged a second router that works on 5 GHz, and have been getting 300mbits/s ever since. So it seems that the Intel drivers are working fine. I've read some speculation that it comes down to Intel's strict adherence to the final 802.11n spec.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

SO HERE IS A FIRST IMPRESSION REVIEW - DUE TO LACK OF SUCH. ENJOY

Second day running 12.10 on an X1 Carbon.

Installation: Beta 2 wouldnt install, so I tried with a daily build. More success. All hardware detected without a problem. Installation was done in under 15min. Please not that due to UEFI (I read that somewhere) u need to use the 64bit Ubuntu (no idea why anyone still uses 32bit).

Booting: Mine has 8gig RAM, I swear it boots in under 5 seconds!

Display: I dont like the colors that much, after having been with a shiny Macbook Air for over a year. Maybe it can be adjusted in Gnome somewhere. The distance between the pixels is noticeable, as reported in many reviews. That is a shame, would be a great Display otherwise.

Touchpad: Nice feeling, gestures supported. Only problem that it is one noisy and sloppily attached part. That severly dents the overall impression and it is an annoying sound. But hey, I only use the Nipple anyhow...

Power supply: The AC adapter is enormous. No idea whose idea that was. Basically it is as big as those that came with ThinkPads 10 years ago...

Fan/Noise: I find it very loud, there is a constant high pitch humming and fan goes up regularly without much reason. I think this could be tuned. Any ideas? What libraries do I have to install? Thinkfan?

Heat: laptop gets quite warm in the peripheral areas. But then again, so does the MacBook Air (but that one gets warm around the Escape Key).

Vents: The ASUS and Apple Machines are the only innovative ones out there, all others including this one have a grill at the bottom and one on the left. I already see the machine dying in a couple months due to dust getting in and it being asphyxated because it use it like LAPtop.... poor engineering

WiFi: No problems

Bluetooth: Detected. But I havent tested it.

Battery: The First test today (first time on battery since purchase) I got about 4h, I hope this gets better. I am open to tuning tips!

Keyboard: VERY nice, but I find it a bit loud and heavy. Just have to get used to it after the butter writing machine that was the macbook air. Some Keys are very nicely placed and some thought went into it. The keyboard can be lit, albeit not the auxiliary buttons such as volume control.

Sound: Quite nice, even for music. Surely nothing audiophile.

Headset/Mike: Not tested yet (will update this review)

Overall: A very light, thin, very robust, matte chassis, matte display laptop with a 14 inch screen in a 13 inch machine. Highly Ubuntu compatible Ultrabook. A few very clear engineering flaws (display, touchpad, AC adapter, vent/fans) that will forever prevent this from being a true MacBook Air killer, but probably among the best Thinkpads yet.

Questions?

And most of all, do you have tips for me (fan control, battery optimization)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoNero View Post
    Fan/Noise: I find it very loud, there is a constant high pitch humming and fan goes up regularly without much reason. I think this could be tuned. Any ideas? What libraries do I have to install? Thinkfan?
    You could try installing Jupiter or indicator-cpufreq, which makes it possible to manually adjust the CPU frequency and how it's dynamically adjusted.

WiFi: No problems
    How about 802.11n networks? Does that work okay? And do you have a mobile broadband card built-in? If you do, are you able to test it?

Battery: The First test today (first time on battery since purchase) I got about 4h, I hope this gets better. I am open to tuning tips!
    Did you adjust the brightness on the screen when you tested this? And the CPU frequency? That normally helps.
    Last edited by karlstad; October 10th, 2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Added links for Jupiter and indicator-cpufreq

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi

I chose the model without mobile broadband. I have not tested it with an x11n network.

I did adjust the screen brightness slightly, not the CPU frequency.
    Which brings me to your first answer: I dont want to manually have to adjust anything. I am familiar with Jupiter and aside from the temperature information I find it a fairly useless piece of software. Also I dont think the CPU is the problem, but the fan. If I am not doing anything, and the fan goes on, I hardly think it is because the CPU is so busy? But I am open to try a few things. However I think Ubuntu's strength is in its out-of-the-box-iness

Beans

My X1 is set to arrive on Monday... based on the previous posts, I'm still trying to decide the following:

- 64bit or 32bit (I got the base model with 4g ram and 256SSD)
    - 12.04 or 12.10 ubuntu (CLASSIC mode - can't stand unity or g3)

Especially curious about the WIFI N problems... would rather run 12.04 for the LTS... can you guys find out what driver version you are running on 12.04 and 12.10?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast