• Only for maintenance

56 34.78%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Do you keep your PC on 24/7 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Do you keep your PC on 24/7 ?

My Ubuntu desktop is on pretty much permanently but would/will hibernate if/when a fix is released. Crunchbang Netbook is left on but hibernates. My Mac is almost always on but hibernates when I black out at my desk. (I hate my Mac, all work and no play).

Reboots happen as necessary, probably monthly on average.
    Last edited by DogMatix; October 13th, 2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: client rewrote copy at last minute - again!
    = Fit as a butcher's dog =

Beans

I tend to put my laptop to sleep for A) I always have lots of stuff open which I rarely have time to save and close
    B) It takes eternity to load after restart. Always in a rush, always no time for this.

My server machine is on constantly, because you know it's a SERVER. I use it for video surveillance system and need it to be stably on

Electricity bill is not that high for me.

Beans

I've always hibernated my laptop unless I need to update it or something is going wrong.
    My new computer I shut down whenever I'm not using it (unless something is downloading). It takes almost no time to boot so why waste the money on leaving it on?
    On an unrelated note I never turn off my phone, keep it on 24/7, but that gets problems about every month and needs a reboot -__-

Beans

I only reboot for kernel updates. My latest desktop/workstation is a ZBox Nano and uses almost no power at all. I do have it set to suspend if inactive for over 3 hours, but that's more or less because I'm paranoid about heat, rather than power.

Beans

I recently installed arch on my netbook and also installed an ssd. With updates coming quickly if i see an update to say my video driver i reboot just to make sure everything went smoothly. with the ssd reboot isn't a big deal at all
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Our computer area upstairs has multiple machines, so the noise and heat get's a bit much. But I've had it running for weeks without fuss.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

depends, but it usually gets rebooted couple of times a week

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I leave them on only if I leave the house for a short period of time. Even my Ubuntu server I rather shutdown when I leave (it's just for backup and seeding linux iso's plus I don't access it from outside the LAN). Switched off computer still have the lowest power consumption

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910