• Once per year

0 0%
  • Only for maintenance

56 34.78%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Do you keep your PC on 24/7 ?

Beans

Re: Do you keep your PC on 24/7 ?

I leave our main desktop on 24/7. Reboot only when needed due to update, an external device detection or a rare lock-up. Often I have it doing something overnight that would take too much time during the day. Given the monthly cost of of my electric, shutting it down would not matter.

Beans

Our media/file server running XUBUNTU is always on. We only restart when it crashes or updates require it. For my personal computer, I turn it off every night. It's more secure and electricity bills in Germany can really add up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    Do you keep your PC on 24/7 ?
    Yes.
    I have for the last 5 or 6 years.
    Restart when prompted by updates.
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans

Yes I leave it on 24/7 just in case I'm sleep walking and need a quick internet fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No need to leave it on with Ubuntu booting so fast. I switch it off, even when I go to the shops for more chocolate.
    My site - for my role-playing games, spaceships and stuff like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My laptop (running Ubuntu 12.04 stays on almost all day long, all month long unless I need to reboot for an update or something goes wrong. My desktop running XP ( I know, shame on me) gets turned off when I'm not using it; though I'm contemplating turning it into a server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I shut my stuff down every night unless I need something to run through the night when it will not bother me (like downloading games on Steam under Wine really saps my internet speed unless I run it at night).
    I prefer the savings and thunder storms are becoming increasingly common where I live, and have lost several hundred dollars in networking equipment because of it-I don't want a repeat of that for more expensive computers.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm surprised to see quite a few people saying they don't think the savings on their electricity bill would be worth it. I assume that's because of one of two reasons:
    1. They don't really know how much a computer consumes, so can't really assess the value of either leaving it on or shutting it off
    2. Their bill is so large due to something like aircon that they don't feel the savings are worth it

If it's 1 then the answer is about 876kWh per year for a desktop. If it's 2 then surely if your consumption is huge you'd be looking for any simple painless way to reduce it?

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't turn my computers off unless I am going to be out of town, need to restart due to a update, changed a setting that requires a restart, or have a crash/lockup.

I do have my monitors set to turn off if I am idle for more than a half hour to save power and extend their useful lifetime.
    The monitors use more power than my computers so I made sure they are not left on by accident.
    Building Conky | iCalendar Conky | Weather Script | Background List
    Intel Core i7-2600K - 3.40GHz | Asus P8Z68-V LE | 8GB RAM - 1866 MHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Beans

usually I shutdown for security reasons.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast