• Once per year

0 0%
  • Only for maintenance

56 34.78%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you keep your PC on 24/7 ?

Beans

Re: Do you keep your PC on 24/7 ?

For my build I say keeping it on makes little to no difference to turning it off, my desktop honestly doesnt chew up that much energy.
    On average we spend $200 or so USD on electric bills and in all honesty thats not too shabby.
    Even now with the air conditioners on its still about that average and my computer does not seem to contribute that much to the bill.
    When we have the air off the bill is roughly $150 or so and this is energy being chewed up by three people here so it does make sense.
    If we were spending over $500 or so then I say I may consider what is costing us so much.
    But my computer is very energy star compliant as is my monitor so there you go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    For my build I say keeping it on makes little to no difference to turning it off
    Only because you've got such a high electrical baseload. What are you actual consumption figures in kWh? Should be on your bill.

Running a normal desktop PC (c. 100W average) 24/7 will use about 900kWh annually. Here in the UK the average household uses 3,300kWh, so the PC would increase the household's overall comsumption by 27%.

Obviously with aircon you're using heaps more power than that, which is why the computer being on might not stick out like the proverbials.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Only because you've got such a high electrical baseload. What are you actual consumption figures in kWh? Should be on your bill.

Running a normal desktop PC (c. 100W average) 24/7 will use about 900kWh annually. Here in the UK the average household uses 3,300kWh, so the PC would increase the household's overall comsumption by 27%.

Obviously with aircon you're using heaps more power than that, which is why the computer being on might not stick out like the proverbials.
    I have a 600W PSU in her, I am running a AMD Phenom II hex core, 4 GB of RAM running both linux and windows respectively.
    I am never overloading my hardware, on both ends I open 1 maybe 2 applications at the same time so very little is actually chewed up.
    With the way the PSU is supposed to handle things is that it will only give more power when it is needed.
    Here is my PSU by the way:
    http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=4199

As you can see its got very good averages and has 80 plus bronze status, pretty good all things considered.

heck even with my older computer power consumption was minimal as it too had energy star hardware in her.
    My mom is the one who mainly pays the bill and she only announces high bills when we get them which is rare and is more caused by my air conditioner then my computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Your hardware is comparable to mine MadmanRB, I've got a 550W 80-plus PSU (Scythe Kamariki 4) and a CPU with probably similar TDP. Mine uses about 80W baseline, I would expect yours to be similar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I wonder if it has more life to run all the time or off and on 365 days a year and if you leave it on all the time do you ever clean the heat sinks, mine are cloged solid when I check them about once a year, if I left it on all the time it would probably over heat and die -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My office PC is always on 24/7 365 days.
    Days I work from home, the desktop is on dawn to dusk.
    General web stuff is done on my phone.

So no, I don't leave MY computer on 24/7.

Beans

Once a month or more often.

I used to be an uptime junkie. I've had several systems which had been up for over a year, with my longest ever being just over 2 years on an actively, frequently used server for a business.

Doing this is the same as setting your system up for reinstallation if you let it wait long enough. Eventually you will have accumulated enough software updates that your important services will no longer have the same configuration. They are running with the config you had a year or two ago, and that is NOT reflected by the config file on the disk and possibly you might have a new version of the server sitting on the disk, with a cached copy in memory.

I just found (a week or so ago) a remote server that had been up for a year and a half. I rebooted it, and sure enough nothing worked anymore. Took me a day to fix it.

I'm inclined to leave my system running, but I find that any more than a month of uptime you risk a broken system when you do shut it down, and the longer you wait the more severe the problems will be. If you wait over a year, it will NOT be just one thing broken.
    Help stamp out MBR partition tables. Use GPT instead!

Beans

I turn mine off when not in use for an hour or more. Mostly out of habit.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Your hardware is comparable to mine MadmanRB, I've got a 550W 80-plus PSU (Scythe Kamariki 4) and a CPU with probably similar TDP. Mine uses about 80W baseline, I would expect yours to be similar.
    Yeah she doesnt seem to chew up too much on my end, I got some decent specs here

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I turn it off when I am finished with it and try and turn everything off at the wall every night when I remember, except the fridge he he, but then it is my in my nature not to be wasteful.

Is it bad for the computer to turn off ever time you finished on it?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast