Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've messed up my computer trying to install

Beans

I've messed up my computer trying to install

I'm freaking out right now. I was trying to install Ubuntu on my windows 7 laptop, and when I was working on the install something went wrong and now when I boot up it doesn't go into Windows.
    I chose "something else" on the install screen and tried to resize a partition but I don't know what happened.
    It still says that windows 7 is on this machine but it doesn't give me the option to "install inside windows" anymore. Something is wrong. I don't know what I'm doing.
    Please let me know if any more information is needed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: I've messed up my computer trying to install

Welcome.

Sounds like you are attempting a Wubi install if you are looking for an option to install inside Windows, yet choosing 'Something Else' is related to a hard drive install, which is not 'inside Windows' but installed to a partition.

Did you resize the Windows partition when you chose 'Something Else'? If so, this can seriously screw the MBR, but that is fixable (Win7 should be resized with it's own software). You could try with Boot Repair. If you boot from the LiveCD, get online, install Boot Repair from Software Centre (yes, it will install even on a Live boot), and give that a go to start.

Please give more detail: Release number, Wubi/Desktop/Alternate install.

PS: If you're up to it, installing, running and posting the results of this would give us an exact picture of what's going on with your machine:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

PPS: Just while I think of it; if you already had four primary partitions on the drive and tried to add a fifth after resizing Win, that complicates things further. Try and post the boot info.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 23rd, 2012 at 08:01 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Welcome.

Sounds like you are attempting a Wubi install if you are looking for an option to install inside Windows, yet choosing 'Something Else' is related to a hard drive install, which is not 'inside Windows' but installed to a partition.

Did you resize the Windows partition when you chose 'Something Else'? If so, this can seriously screw the MBR, but that is fixable. You could try with Boot Repair. If you boot from the LiveCD, get online, install Boot Repair from Software Centre (yes, it will install even on a Live boot), and give that a go to start.

Please give more detail: Release number, Wubi/Desktop/Alternate install.
    Ok thank you. It's Ubuntu 12.04, and it wasn't Wubi, I was trying to install to a partition. I'm concerned about putting a different live CD on my flash drive, because if I don't have ubuntu on here my computer wouldn't boot.

I can't find anything called "boot repair" in the software center

It seems I've messed up pretty badly. The "disk utility" tool is showing a TON of "free space".

I don't really know what I'm doing, so this may be a bad idea, but I could install ubuntu so it's more stable and frees up my USB flash drive, then make a get a windows live USB and reinstall? That seems a bit drastic, but honestly it looks like I've somehow gotten rid of the Windows partition. I can try to get a couple of screenshots if that would help?

EDIT: Ok, I'll run the boot info program. Thank you
    EDIT2: Here is what the bootinfoscript returned: http://pastebin.com/5F65HSu2
    EDIT3: Here is a screenshot of the disk utility tool: http://i.imgur.com/OtPAl.png
    EDIT4: Here is a screenshot of the install tool: http://i.imgur.com/yAcIk.png
    Last edited by Alecmag; August 23rd, 2012 at 08:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yea, not sure what's gone on there but suspect it had something to do with the Win resize using Gparted. I see no Win either. Which partition was it on? It's confusing in there, wiser heads might come up with other solutions, but I would attempt Boot Repair in the first instance. It may be installable from a Live boot from Soft Centre, but is also available as ISO to create bootable media. Win could just be hiding and the outputs are misleading!

Next, seems you do have a recovery partition remaining. Run that, which will return to default factory and reinstall Windows, then resize the Win partition with its own software. Then install Ubuntu to the free space.

Best: Make a couple of copies of the recovery disks from that partition (there should be instructions how to do this from manufacturer), wipe the drive (this can be done from a Live boot using Gparted, making sure partitions are unmounted by right clicking first), install Win, install Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 23rd, 2012 at 08:30 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Yea, not sure what's gone on there but suspect it had something to do with the Win resize using Gparted. I see no Win either. Which partition was it on? It's confusing in there, wiser heads might come up with other solutions, but I would attempt Boot Repair. It could just be hiding and the outputs are misleading!

Next, seems you do have a recovery partition remaining. Run that, which will return to default factory and reinstall Windows, then resize the Win partition with its own software. Then install Ubuntu to the free space.

Best: Make a couple of copies of the recovery disks from that partition (there should be instructions how to do this from manufacturer), wipe the lot, install Win, install Ubuntu.
    Ok thank you for your help. I honestly have no idea how that happened. Obviously I butchered it somehow though. Again, I really appreciate the help I was panicking so badly I actually forgot about the recovery partition! I'm actually not entirely sure how to run that but I should be able to get that from some googling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Alecmag View Post
    Ok thank you for your help. I honestly have no idea how that happened. Obviously I butchered it somehow though. Again, I really appreciate the help I was panicking so badly I actually forgot about the recovery partition! I'm actually not entirely sure how to run that but I should be able to get that from some googling.
    I think you can use the Windows CD to be able to boot into the Recovery Console or there might be a key you have to press to give you the option to be able to enter the Recovery Console.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@Shadius: Yea, it is a key combo at boot pretty sure. That kicks in the recovery partition and away you go ...

Beans

The key combination (F11) is telling me that I need a recovery disk, which I don't think I have. I can look around, but I'm not sure if I do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

There should be another that boots the recovery partition. The disk it is looking for is a product of that partition and if you didn't manually make them they probably don't exist (I always make two copies and put them back in the box with receipt before doing anything with a new machine!)

When it asks, you can't point it at the partition, by any chance?

Have you got a manual or can you search for one for your machine online? If you haven't already?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Before trying the Recovery Console, you might want to try Boot-Repair. The link is in my signature. It seems some form of a system recovery is still left on the hard disk drive. The BootInfoScript is still showing that Windows is installed to sda so you can probably try using Boot-Repair to restore the MBR and get back Windows! I'd try that before trying Recovery Console.
    Question Everything

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast