Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Building My First Computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Building My First Computer

What are your thoughts on these motherboards? I'm looking at the motherboards that have WiFi and wired. Also, I don't think I need VGA (old technology), and I was looking into DisplayPort (I know very little about it). My current monitor has VGA/DVI, but I might purchase a better monitor that has HDMI. I'm curious about how DisplayPort works and what it is though. Can anyone explain the advantages/disadvantages of it?

Motherboards I'm looking at:
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO

ASUS P8Z77-V

Please help me choose!
    Question Everything

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    First thing I've read.
    Question Everything

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    First thing I've read.
    So what questions do you have left after that?

Beans
    Distro

So what questions do you have left after that?
    From what I read, I understand that it's better than VGA and DVI, but the same as HDMI? It's supposed to compliment HDMI? How?

That's just a minor issue to decide whether I need to have a DisplayPort or not. I'm indecisive about it right now.

The big decision is to choose which motherboard to go with.
    Question Everything

Beans

Comparison with HDMI

Although DisplayPort supports much of the same functionality as HDMI, it is expected to complement the interface, not replace it.[3][4] DisplayPort can emit an HDMI signal through the use of a passive adapter connected to a port that supports dual-mode.

The DisplayPort specification defines the standard as royalty-free, while HDMI charges US$0.04 per device with an annual fee of $10,000 for high volume manufacturers.[29] HDMI Licensing counters the "royalty-free" claim by pointing out that the DisplayPort specification leaves open the possibility of charging for implementation.[30] DisplayPort has more than twice the bandwidth at 21.6 Gbit/s[31] (17.28 Gbit/s with overhead removed) as opposed to HDMI's 10.2 Gbit/s[32] (8.16 Gbit/s with overhead removed). It also has the ability to share this bandwidth with multiple streams of audio and video to separate devices.[33]

DisplayPort in native mode lacks some HDMI features such as support for the xvYCC color space (added in DisplayPort version 1.2) and Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) commands, which allow the control of multiple devices through a single remote;[34][35] VESA asserts that CEC commands can be transmitted over the AUX channel if needed.[33] HDMI uses unique Vendor Specific Block structure which allows for features such as additional color spaces. However, these features can be defined by CEA EDID extensions.

As current monitors with native resolutions of 2560x1440 and up don't support their native resolution via HDMI, the only option to run such monitors at native resolution are DVI-D and Displayport. Since virtually no current notebooks have DVI, notebooks with DisplayPort are the only option for someone wanting to use a 1440p+ monitor with a notebook.
    Highlighted some pros in bold.

As for the MBs does the Asus site not have a side by side comparison tool?

Beans
    Distro

Highlighted some pros in bold.

As for the MBs does the Asus site not have a side by side comparison tool?
    Ah, I see. Thank you. Yes, they do. I've gone over comparisons from the ASUS site and the Newegg site. My eyes are just about ready to fall out. I've been researching all day.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro

From what I can tell, the only differences between these two boards are the amount of USB ports and the P8Z77-V has the TPM and COM connectors (which I don't know what those are used for). Also, the prices.
    Question Everything

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    ...and the P8Z77-V has the TPM and COM connectors (which I don't know what those are used for).
    TPM - Trusted Platform Module
    COM - Serial port headers

I don't think I would want TPM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module

As for the COM you need to decide if you have a need for legacy serial ports. I have not had not use the ones on my MB since I've had it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

As for the COM you need to decide if you have a need for legacy serial ports. I have not had not use the ones on my MB since I've had it.
    About the only thing they're useful for these days is communicating with machinery that uses serial comms (it's still pretty widely used in industrial control). I can't imagine a home user would have any need for them.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast