Thread: gvfs-mount permanent mount point

Beans

gvfs-mount permanent mount point

I am running 12.04 (Hybryde distro), that I just installed yesterday. I have a NAS (network drive or network storage device). I wish to mount the shares so that I can peruse them at will from any app.

I followed a lot of discussions and felt that using gvfs-mount should work. Sure enough, I can see the shares mounted in Home Folder (I am currently using the Unity Desktop). So far so good. However, when I look into ~/.gvfs, I see nothing. I expected to see something like "share on server" as others have stated. Am I missing something, not understanding correctly?

BTW - I am trying to mount to shares, again they both appear in Home Folder under Network, but they both point to the same server. Here are the commands I used:

gvfs-mount smb://192.168.1.199/wltiii
    gvfs-mount smb://192.168.1.199/public

If I cannot see names in ~/.gvfs, I am not sure how to create the symbolic link. My intention is to mount these devices upon start up.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: gvfs-mount permanent mount point

If you need them to automount at boot, one way would be to use fstab.
    Open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) then type in the following
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    Then add the following 2 lines to the end of the file.
    Code:
    //192.168.1.199/wltiii          /media/wltiii          cifs            rw,workgroup=WORKGROUP,auto,user=USER,password=PASSWORD,iocharset=utf8      0     0
    //192.168.1.199/public          /media/public          cifs            rw,workgroup=WORKGROUP,auto,user=USER,password=PASSWORD,iocharset=utf8      0     0
    You can replace /media/wltiii and /media/public if you want to mount those somewhere else. Also please replace the USER, PASSWORD and WORKGROUP values. If you don't need to login, you can remove the user and password options then.

EDIT: You might have to install cifs-utils first. Just click the name to install it.
    Last edited by Lisiano; August 23rd, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans

However, when I look into ~/.gvfs, I see nothing.
    It sounds like you are missing one or more packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gvfs-backends
    sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse
    sudo apt-get install fuse
    And / Or you are not a memeber of the fuse group:
    Code:
    sudo gpasswd -a your-user-name fuse
    Then logout and login again to make the group change.

If you can now see the .gvfs/whatever mounts and you want to have these automount I would suggest Gigolo: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...16&postcount=3

And if you want an easier time getting to the mountpoints you can create a bookmark to the .gvfs folder:
    Code:
    nautilus $HOME/.gvfs
    Then when nautilus opens up select Bookmarks > Add bookmark. From then on it will show up in things like nautilus and Save As dialog boxes.

Beans

Unfortunately, this did not work. I did see folders in /media named wltiii and public, however they were empty.

I am going to examine the post by morbius1 next. That will have to wait a few hours, though.

Beans

morbius1 -

all the packages were already installed and up-to-date. i added myself to the fuse group. restarted. ran command gvfs-mount smb://192.168.1.199/wltiii. then i looked into .gvfs folder (ls -a). it remains empty.

Beans

I'm beginning to think that the gvfs-fuse daemon isn't running at all.

Run the following commands to start it:
    Unmount the .gvfs mount point:
    Code:
     sudo umount ~/.gvfs
    Then start the daemon:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-fuse-daemon ~/.gvfs
    If that works you may have to add it to your startup applications unless I can figure out the root case of why it's not starting.
    Last edited by Morbius1; August 25th, 2012 at 12:22 PM.

Beans

Morbius1,

I'm beginning to think that the gvfs-fuse daemon isn't running at all.
    This worked. I have not re-booted to see if the daemon is running upon startup. If not, I should be able to add that to a startup script. I presume I will need to add the gvfs-mount to a startup script, too. Just wondering... Would this be in my .bashrc? .bash_profile? Or?

Beans

Create a little script at say ... $HOME/gvfs-mount with this content:
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    fusermount -zu ~/.gvfs
    /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-fuse-daemon ~/.gvfs
    Then make it executable:
    Code:
     chmod +x $HOME/gvfs-mount
    Then add it to your start up applications:
    Dash Home > Startup > Startup Applications > Add
    Then point it to your script.

Possibly interesting side note: You can use this technique to change the mount point to something other than a hidden directory:

Create a new directory, for example:
    Code:
     mkdir $HOME/GVFS
    Then change the script to this:
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    fusermount -zu ~/.gvfs
    /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-fuse-daemon ~/GVFS

Beans

Lisiano's tip worked a treat for me, thanks!

edit: Ubuntu 12.04 on Dell XPSM1530 to Windows 7 Professional shared volume with user/pass read/write permissions.
    Last edited by jasonhendry; May 24th, 2013 at 02:59 AM. Reason: include personal circumstance to reflect reason for success