Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 from USB

Beans

Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 from USB

I have been working on my "new" machine for a couple days now, at first I was going to install Chromium but when that didn't work I figured i'd settle for the latest Ubuntu distro. I have a Sandisk Cruzer 8 GB which I tried to install Ubuntu on. The goal was to boot from this and install to a fresh partition I just made. But I got a little taste of Murphey's law and when I booted up on my Dell Dimension 4600c (Yes I know its old.) I get "Operating system not found." I installed using UNetbootin and I can see the files on the drive from Windows 8 so I know it worked. I tried again anyways. Same results. I know the drive is okay because I just installed Windows 8 with it. What gives?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 from USB?!

Just because you see the files on the usb does not mean that it worked. Sounds as if the bootloader was not installed correctly by unetbootin. I had serveral of these problems with unetbootin in the past. Are you sure that the downloaded is is ok, did you verify the checksum of the iso? If you have the chance, create a liveCD and see if that boots.

Beans

Alright well, what other software can I use? Should I re-download the image? I don;t have any blank CDs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Depending on the windows version you are doing this from, you might need to start unetbootin with right-click, Run As Administrator, instead of the double click.

Sometimes it needs higher permissions in windows to write to boot sectors.

While it's preparing the stick watch closely whether it says the bootloader is installed correctly towards the end.

PS. As for other software, you can use Universal USB Installer for example, to prepare the stick. I would run it as administrator too, otherwise in Vista and 7 writing to boot sectors might be blocked sometimes.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Windows 8. It asks even if I only double click it. Honestly the 3rd step moves by so fast I can't even see what it says. Although it does say (Done) Right next to it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Allenph View Post
    Windows 8. It asks even if I only double click it. Honestly the 3rd step moves by so fast I can't even see what it says. Although it does say (Done) Right next to it.
    Not sure how it works on 8. Try Universal USB Installer, maybe it will work better.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Tried again. Still no cigar. Could it have something to do with my computer not wanting to boot from a USB with multiple partitions? I mean its an old computer.

Beans
    Distro

Not really sure. In theory, the computer only needs to fire off the bootloader and then the bootloader needs to boot the partition it's configured to boot. But that's in theory.

How are you using usb stick with multiple partition in windows anyway? Or win8 accepts this? That option is not available on win7, it sees only the first partition. Or this is a usb hdd?

Another idea, try making the partition FAT32 not NTFS. I usually have installation sticks with FAT32.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Tried the new software. Still have the same issue.

Beans

I have already tried both formats. I always thought that linux used multiple partitions. Just thought it might be the reason why.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast