Thread: CCNA certification/simulation software?

Beans

CCNA certification/simulation software?

I apologize if this question is an old one. I at least searched this forum section and couldn't find one exactly like it.

I would love to get some advice and input on the Cisco CCNA certification, in particular how, exactly, I would go about crafting my simulation environment.

I have an MSc in Electrical Engineering, and I even have a computer communications course in my pocket, but employers want something harder than kryptonite to prove that you can deliver from second 1 on the job, and Cisco certificates seem to have that hardness and acceptance.

It seems that Todd Lammle and Wendell Odom are the household names as far as the literature. I have Lammle's CCNA book, but I will listen to advice from the more experienced.

I would love not to have to tinker with actual hardware until I am on my first paid CCNA-demanding job so simulation software seems like the answer. Can I buy software that simulates all CCNA-related labs off the shelf without having to (semi-illegally) download Cisco IOS or similar? Where from? Is www.routersim.com recommendable, and are their products complete in this sense?

Would be great to hear from any of this forum's experts. Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: CCNA certification/simulation software?

As a certified computer Programmer entering school for Computer Networking in applied science I was wondering if the Cisco CCNA Libarary software is able to run on a linux distro.

I am starting Classes next week and could use some advice on this. Other wise I might need to go to dual boot for a windows os so I can run it...

as to your question about weather that site is reputable or not it looks like it would be a good way to go and I think I may end up using it after I finish my CNS classes.
    skype- HtmlGifted
    yahoo- HtmlGifted
    personal page- http://www.jeremyahenry.tk/
    Company site http://www.yourwaywebhosting.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HtmlGifted View Post
    As a certified computer Programmer entering school for Computer Networking in applied science I was wondering if the Cisco CCNA Libarary software is able to run on a linux distro.

I am starting Classes next week and could use some advice on this. Other wise I might need to go to dual boot for a windows os so I can run it...

as to your question about weather that site is reputable or not it looks like it would be a good way to go and I think I may end up using it after I finish my CNS classes.
    I took ccna classes like 5 years ago and I knew a lot of guys who used linux. I believe you can run cisco ccna software on ubuntu.

Here's a link that talks about it: http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2011/05/in...co-packet.html

Hope this helped.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have just finished a course in networks and security. The best program is the packet tracer from cisco. It doesn't have all the functions that a router/switch have, but it is the software that cisco employs in the certification exam, so your best choice is to master that program.
    They shouldn't ask you anything you cannot do with the packet tracer.

A better program but far more complicated, is GNS3. For this software you need the cisco IOS images of the router/switch/device. Then you load it into the program and you would have all the functionalities of the loaded device.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by El Tito; November 18th, 2012 at 01:01 PM.