Thread: eXeSMS install to Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

eXeSMS install to Ubuntu 12.04

I recently installed eXeSMS (other sys) onto a user login of Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop.
    The eXeSMS zip file was unpacked in the Downloads folder of the Admin directory (Home/"Admin name").
    From the user login I then used Gnome Panel to create a link to the eXeSMS.jar file in the Admin Downloads folder.
    This provided a Launch Panel icon that works(one click)and a Desktop icon that works (double click).
    Well, except for one little glitch.
    First activation of either icon produces an error panel to display with a reference to "unable to access database file".
    Subsequent activation eXeSMS works.
    Q1: Can anyone explain why this happens and is there a fix?

Also reading that some time ago a complaint to the ISP (Exetel) was made about double billing occurring for some messages that were not exceeding the 160 char limit.
    I think I have experienced this (14c instead of 7c) but I cannot check the length of the sent message.
    Q2: Is double charging an outstanding problem?
    Q3: Are sent messages stored somewhere for retrieval?
    Thanks

Beans

Re: eXeSMS install to Ubuntu 12.04

Double billing SOLVED,
    Subsequent to my earlier post I found the location of my stored SMS messages and did a char count on the particular message and it exceeded 160 chars.
    My apology to Exetel, my ISP,

Beans

Further to my post,
    eXeSMS is a free 3rd Party Java application supplied by my ISP.
    Where should an application such as this be located.
    Could I create a "My Apps" directory in /usr/bin to locate such apps and scripts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Very nice, what does exesms do?
    // Blog

Beans

The script enables SMS to be sent from a PC. It is provided by EXETEL (ISP) for their clients.
    Single or group SMS can be sent from a pop up panel on your Desktop.
    It works but I dont think I have installed it properly, I think it should have been installed in usr/local/bin.
    I have been unable to drag the app and associated files from its installed location, "Admin"/Downloads.
    I intend to download the zip file again but this time I will configure Firefox to target usr/local/bin Dir. then extract it and change the command path in the Users Desktop icon to the usr/local/bin Dir. which is one of the environment paths.