Thread: Unable to boot

Beans

Unable to boot

Hi,

I have a dual boot computer (Ubuntu 11.10 or 11.04 / Win7). Everything was working fine until yesterday when it froze while I was under Win7, after that I can't boot the computer anymore and it keeps restarting. The restart occurs right before the when the grub should start (I can't see the grub at all).

I've tried to boot from Ubuntu live CD, but that doesn't also work. I got this alert from 9.04, when I tried to choose "try ubuntu without installing it" from the menu.
    Code:
    Boot loader
    /casper/vmlinz
    This one from 10.4
    Code:
    boot loader
    live: file not found
    And 11.10 doesn't even get me to the menu, instead shows some cryptic table with titles data and prog.

I can however access the text terminal which is prefixed by
    Code:
    boot:
    I tried to google the issue, but what I only managed to find terminal commands (which I can't from the boot terminal, I think).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unable to boot

Seems to me like a hardware issue, most likely faulty RAM (Win7 freezing being the clue). Usually, the computer would not boot or give out noise signals if the CPU or the motherboard was at fault which leads me back to the RAM.

If you have more than one stick, try removing each one individually and booting with only one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beboylips View Post
    Seems to me like a hardware issue, most likely faulty RAM (Win7 freezing being the clue). Usually, the computer would not boot or give out noise signals if the CPU or the motherboard was at fault which leads me back to the RAM.

If you have more than one stick, try removing each one individually and booting with only one.
    The problem was indeed faulty RAM stick, thank you very much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You're welcome and don't forget to mark the post as solved.