Thread: P8Z68-V LX motherboard with Linux

Beans

P8Z68-V LX motherboard with Linux

I just got an email response from Asus after inquiring about Linux seen below:

Dear Customer,
    Thank you for contacting us in regards to the Linux driver. Unfortunately Linux is not supported for this model; I do apologize for your inconvenience.
    Thank you,
    Aaron L
    ASUS Customer Care Team

Does anyone know if my motherboard is okay to be running Linux? I really don't want to ruin my CPU. I hope I don't have to go back to windows I have been loving Linux since day one!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: P8Z68-V LX motherboard with Linux

What drivers are you having problems with specifically? It's hard to imagine (although not impossible!) that it's not supported under Ubuntu. Maybe we can find a driver to work for you, depending on your problem. I've seen their customer support respond this way a few times with boards that totally do work in Linux. So, it may be more customer support laziness than a true lack of a solution.

Also, you won't ruin anything if it's not supported. It just won't run well (if at all).

Beans

It's because Asus doesn't wont to think about your potential problem. Desktop components don't tested with Linux usually.

Intel have been doing lots of commits to Linux kernel and all of Intel chipsets work perfect. Realtek 8111E could be a problem. Some people compiled а new kernel module from Realtek sources for stable work with 3.2.x kernel but this problem could be solved now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Linux will not ruin your cpu. Some versions of Linux will work better then others. I think it has to do with video drivers that are set up with certain distributions. So if the live cd of any given distribution work then it should work if you install it. Again Linus will not hurt your hardware.
    Six Saturdays a week for me.

Beans

Wink Re: P8Z68-V LX motherboard with Linux

I have just installed a 64 bit linux on an ASUS p8z68 deluxe mobo.
    I am dual booting Windows 7 and LInux MINT13 (Ubuntu 12.04 based).
    I have had no issues with it.
    All the onboard stuff I have tested works OK. (Both LAN, SATA, USB, sound, etc)
    I am not sure I understand how and why the sound works as it does but it does work.

pgmer6809