Thread: Facing problem in network config.

Beans

Facing problem in network config.

I am facing 1 problem. i installed ubuntu server 12.04.1 in my server pc. and connected with ethernet connection. It should take network configuration automatically but it does not do that and i dont have internet access evenif ethernet connection. So can u plz guide me what to do so that it configure network setting automatically ?
    I have TP-link TL-WR740N router.

Output of ifconfig :

Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:580 (580.0 B) TX bytes:580 (580.0 B)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Facing problem in network config.

The address 127.0.0.1 is a kind of dummy IP address, so I am assuming that your server is not properly connected to the router. It may be a hardware problem (cable, network card, etc.), or a software problem (wrong driver for network card, dhcp misconfigured, no dhcp server reachable, router blocks, etc.).
    Do you connect by cable or wireless? Is your network card recognized by Ubuntu?

Beans

This is not a problem of any hardware that i m sure. bcoz once i attached another harddisk ( in which windows is installed ) and in windows i can connect to internet without any problem. ubuntu doesnt recognize my ethernet network. i use cable to connect network.

Beans

If you are using the server version of Ubuntu, then you need to configure network connection in /etc/network/interfaces. That should have been done at install time - but the first thing is to check the contents of that file

Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    If that looks OK then you will want to check the hardware / driver detection e.g.

Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    Post the results back here if you need help

Beans

I have solved that problem by replacing another ubuntu server. Now its working fine. BDW thanks for your support