Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucid Pulseaudio Connection Refused

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lucid Pulseaudio Connection Refused

Greetings,

Last night I took the plunge. Flashed my bios with the latest firmware and then did an upgraded from Karmic to Lucid. I must say for the most part the smoothest cleanest upgrade yet. Now though my problem.

When I login. I have no sound. I open Pulsaudio applet and the message at the bottom of the applet is connection refused. Clicking on connect of course got the same error message. So I open a terminal and type:

Code:
    pulseaudio --start
    and wahla the is sound. I then looked in preference->startup applications and found where pulse was being started and the command:

Code:
    start-pulse-x11

I figured it out by changing the command in system->preferences->startup applications

Pulseaudio Sound System from:

Code:
    start-pulse-x11
    to

Code:
    /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start
    Now it starts up with no problems.

I know that this is a minor annoyance, but it would be nice to have it startup upon login. Any suggestion?

TIA,
    Skaramanger
    Last edited by skaramanger; June 1st, 2010 at 03:43 AM. Reason: SOLVED
    M2N-SLI with AMD Phenom II X4 940 8GB of 400Mhz 128bit DDR2 RAM, an Evga GTX560ti Video card Phoenix Bios Rev. 5001

Kubuntu 12.10 (do-release-upgrade)

Beans

Re: Lucid Pulseaudio Connection Refused

Hi,

I have observed this issue also but with a *clean* install of Lucid. (I know it is clean because I've been on XP for the past 5 years!) Symptoms are the same, i.e. "start-pulse-x11" is a startup item rather than "pulseaudio --start". Looks like a bug.

Patrick

Beans

By chance, do you have an instance of vncserver configured ? I think that this package may change the default pulseaudio command to "start-pulseaudio-x11".

Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

neither command works for me after last round of updates.

Code:
    pulseaudio --start
    E: main.c: Daemon startup failed.
    afrodeity@afrodeity-desktop:~$ start-pulse-x11
    start-pulse-x11: command not found

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by p_rynhart View Post
    By chance, do you have an instance of vncserver configured ? I think that this package may change the default pulseaudio command to "start-pulseaudio-x11".

Thanks,
    Greetings,

Sorry I failed to notice any replies here. I don't have vncserver configured. I do notice that as I have pulseaudio starting now, all I have to do to get sound is click on the applet in the task bar and right click (I'm left handed so I left click) and select the default server and sound works. Still annoying though.

Thanks for your reply,
    M2N-SLI with AMD Phenom II X4 940 8GB of 400Mhz 128bit DDR2 RAM, an Evga GTX560ti Video card Phoenix Bios Rev. 5001

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by afrodeity View Post
    neither command works for me after last round of updates.

Code:
    pulseaudio --start
    E: main.c: Daemon startup failed.
    afrodeity@afrodeity-desktop:~$ start-pulse-x11
    start-pulse-x11: command not found
    Afrodeity,

I don't know if I have any solutions for you and I don't know you level of experience but, try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get check
    at the command prompt in a terminal window. It will check and fix any dependency problems that you system might have. Other wise try in the same window:

Code:
    aptitude search | grep pulseaudio
    This will tell you what of pulseaudio's packages are installed on your system. Post your output. I'll try to check back, but I have a certs test to study for.

Best wishes

Beans

elango@Elango-laptop:~$ pulseaudio --start
    E: core-util.c: Failed to stat runtime directory /home/elango/.pulse/bdd5c16b9f262a67021d7b4e4bee4cdf-runtime: Invalid argument
    W: lock-autospawn.c: Cannot access autospawn lock.
    E: main.c: Failed to acquire autospawn lock
    elango@Elango-laptop:~$

can some one help ???

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by skaramanger View Post
    Afrodeity,

I don't know if I have any solutions for you and I don't know you level of experience but, try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get check
    at the command prompt in a terminal window. It will check and fix any dependency problems that you system might have. Other wise try in the same window:

Code:
    aptitude search | grep pulseaudio
    This will tell you what of pulseaudio's packages are installed on your system. Post your output. I'll try to check back, but I have a certs test to study for.

Best wishes
    thanks skaramanger

Code:
    aptitude search pulseaudio
    i   gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio        - GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio           
    i   libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio      - Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and Pul
    i   pulseaudio                      - PulseAudio sound server                   
    p   pulseaudio-dbg                  - PulseAudio sound server detached debugging
    i   pulseaudio-equalizer            - PulseAudio Equalizer - LADSPA plugin graph
    i   pulseaudio-esound-compat        - PulseAudio ESD compatibility layer        
    p   pulseaudio-esound-compat-dbg    - PulseAudio ESD compatibility layer debuggi
    i   pulseaudio-module-bluetooth     - Bluetooth module for PulseAudio sound serv
    p   pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-dbg - Bluetooth module for PulseAudio sound serv
    i   pulseaudio-module-gconf         - GConf module for PulseAudio sound server  
    p   pulseaudio-module-gconf-dbg     - GConf module for PulseAudio sound server d
    v   pulseaudio-module-hal           -                                           
    p   pulseaudio-module-jack          - jackd modules for PulseAudio sound server 
    p   pulseaudio-module-jack-dbg      - jackd modules for PulseAudio sound server 
    p   pulseaudio-module-lirc          - lirc module for PulseAudio sound server   
    p   pulseaudio-module-lirc-dbg      - lirc module for PulseAudio sound server de
    p   pulseaudio-module-raop          - RAOP module for PulseAudio sound server   
    p   pulseaudio-module-raop-dbg      - RAOP module for PulseAudio sound server   
    v   pulseaudio-module-rygel-media-s -                                           
    v   pulseaudio-module-udev          -                                           
    i   pulseaudio-module-x11           - X11 module for PulseAudio sound server    
    p   pulseaudio-module-x11-dbg       - X11 module for PulseAudio sound server deb
    i A pulseaudio-module-zeroconf      - Zeroconf module for PulseAudio sound serve
    p   pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-dbg  - Zeroconf module for PulseAudio sound serve
    i   pulseaudio-utils                - Command line tools for the PulseAudio soun
    p   pulseaudio-utils-dbg            - PulseAudio command line tools detached deb
    If I aptitude search | grep pulseaudio
    Then this message:
    search: You must provide at least one search term

Grep is one of the tools I am still battling to get my head around, guess it stands for grab regular expression?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by afrodeity View Post
    thanks skaramanger

Code:
    aptitude search pulseaudio
    i   libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio      - Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and Pul
    p   pulseaudio-dbg                  - PulseAudio sound server detached debugging
    i   pulseaudio-equalizer            - PulseAudio Equalizer - LADSPA plugin graph
    p   pulseaudio-esound-compat-dbg    - PulseAudio ESD compatibility layer debuggi
    i   pulseaudio-module-bluetooth     - Bluetooth module for PulseAudio sound serv
    p   pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-dbg - Bluetooth module for PulseAudio sound serv
    p   pulseaudio-module-gconf-dbg     - GConf module for PulseAudio sound server d
    v   pulseaudio-module-hal           -                                           
    p   pulseaudio-module-jack          - jackd modules for PulseAudio sound server 
    p   pulseaudio-module-jack-dbg      - jackd modules for PulseAudio sound server 
    p   pulseaudio-module-lirc          - lirc module for PulseAudio sound server   
    p   pulseaudio-module-lirc-dbg      - lirc module for PulseAudio sound server de
    p   pulseaudio-module-raop          - RAOP module for PulseAudio sound server   
    p   pulseaudio-module-raop-dbg      - RAOP module for PulseAudio sound server   
    v   pulseaudio-module-rygel-media-s -                                           
    v   pulseaudio-module-udev          -                                           
    p   pulseaudio-module-x11-dbg       - X11 module for PulseAudio sound server deb
    i A pulseaudio-module-zeroconf      - Zeroconf module for PulseAudio sound serve
    p   pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-dbg  - Zeroconf module for PulseAudio sound serve
    i   pulseaudio-utils                - Command line tools for the PulseAudio soun
    p   pulseaudio-utils-dbg            - PulseAudio command line tools detached deb
    If I aptitude search | grep pulseaudio
    Then this message:
    search: You must provide at least one search term

Grep is one of the tools I am still battling to get my head around, guess it stands for grab regular expression?
    Sounds good I don't know. As for the command

try this :

aptutide search pulseaudio | grep ^i

the ^ says to grep match what follows at the begining of the line only. In this case i for whats installed. You will get back a listing of pulseaudio packages installed on your system. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Had some cert testing to get out of the way.

skaramanger

Beans
    Distro

Hello Skaramanger,

While you were gone, I found a workaround, but not sure exactly why it is working and sound stability still not 100% because alsa wineserver sound is still quitting a lot when I play wine games but at least I can listen to music, and all my audio players work.

I made an /etc/asound.conf file and put this in:

Code:
    pcm.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    pcm.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    Here is the information you requested:

Code:
    aptitude search pulseaudio | grep ^i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast