Thread: Google Voice call in Empathy

Beans

Cool Google Voice call in Empathy

I've just installed Precise and am finding it quite good. (I've used Ubuntu since Dapper.)

I've successfully set up Empathy so I can make voice/video calls using Google Talk. I also use Skype extensively. So, overall I'm covered for VoIP and video conferencing.

I've also got a Google Voice account I just created. I'd like to be able to use Google Voice to make outgoing calls to phone numbers using Empathy. I've Googled a bit and apparently it's supposed to work, but so far if I type a phone number into the New Call box, the Audio Call button remains disabled, and I can't call a phone with Google Voice.

Any suggestions on how to make it work (besides routing through SIP to Google Voice) would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Google Voice call in Empathy

https://www.google.com/chat/video

Did you install the plugin? When I dial google voice from within firefox, it asked me to install a plugin. Maybe the same for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

i don't know about empathy, but google voice calling works fine in firefox or chromium when logged into your gmail account.

Beans

Google Voice and Video plugin for browsers, so Google Talk in Gmail, works fine. And I can answer Google Voice calls in it too.

But that's not what I want. I can answer and make Google Talk VoIP calls in Empathy, but it doesn't answer or have any way to make Google Voice (via Google Talk) calls from or to a PSTN phone.

If it can't do this, ah well, but I'd really like it to be able to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is few months old and no respeonse have you found a solution I am now also intresated in using empathy as front end to google voice.

Same thing with my situation, in gamil can do calls in empathy shows account set up but can't do anything with google voice, dont chat so not sure that even works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by silvagroup View Post
    This is few months old and no respeonse have you found a solution I am now also intresated in using empathy as front end to google voice.
    Not really answering the question here but IMHO the best solution for google chat/video/talk/hangouts on linux is to use google chrome browser plus the "chat for google" extension. That extension looks like an ordinary system-tray app and gives better than skype functionality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ok will consider that as an option. Thnaks.