Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any XBMC MythTV Guru's Out There?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Any XBMC MythTV Guru's Out There?

This is not specifically about Mythbuntu, but this seems like the best place to post.

I have been trying to get rid of Windows Media Center for years. (Literally)
    (My Media Centers, are the only Windows left in my life)

Everytime I find something I like, it has always been lacking in one way or another.

Finally, I found something that I like. (XBMCbuntu)

The only thing it is lacking for me, is Live TV.

As far as I can tell, I can run the MythTV backend in order to get live TV in XBMC.
    (theoretically anyway)

No matter what I read, or what I try, I can't seem to get this going.

TV tuners I have...
    AVerMedia AVerTV Bravo Hybrid PCIe
    Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 PCIe
    Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe

The closest I have ever gotten to getting one of these to work is...
    I managed to install the driver for the InfiniTV. (Thats It)

When I go into the MythTV backend, it says "Failed To Open Card"

Every other attempt to get a driver installed, or get Myth to detect has done nothing.

I am seriously at the point where I want to just pay someone to come set it up.

Obviously, I would prefer to just get some help here, but if it comes down to it, and someone in the Chicagoland area is willing to come get this figured out, I am willing to pay.

Does anyone have any advise?

Or does anyone want a job? LOL

Thanks for reading all this, and for any feedback you may have to offer.

At the moment, I am experimenting with XBMCbuntu 12.2
    I have everything setup perfectly and everything works great. (Except for Live TV)
    Last edited by cbanakis; May 30th, 2013 at 07:04 PM.

Beans

Re: Any XBMC MythTV Guru's Out There?

Are you running one machine or two?

If one, install mythbuntu, get the tuner working then apt-get install xbmc

If two, ditto for the first stage and then get openelec - the PVR side of XBMC works like a charm on openelec.

However the xbmc frontend is IMHO inferior to the mythfrontend for recordings and live tv. I like XBMC as a media centre, but am still switching back to mythfrontend for TV.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    Are you running one machine or two?

However the xbmc frontend is IMHO inferior to the mythfrontend for recordings and live tv. I like XBMC as a media centre, but am still switching back to mythfrontend for TV.
    I have to agree with you here: the incorporated mythfrontend client in XBMC 12.0 and 12.1 (haven't tried 12.2) is really not ready for use yet. Crash-prone, hang-prone at startup --even editing Live-tv settings is frequently enough to hang XBMC. I've come to disable XBMC's "Livetv" on all my XBMC installations and gone back to the old method of running XBMC from the Mythfrontend menu just as a drop-in replacement for mythvideo and mythmusic, and as a superior replacement for the annoying Hulu Desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You might want to try using LinHES as your MythTV backend, it might do the configuration for you. http://linhes.org/
    It has been a few years since I used it, but at the time the installer was fairly automated, so hopefully it will figure out your tuner card for you. Setting up the backend is the hardest part of useing MythTV, and LinHES has some good training wheels to get you going.

O_O it looks like LinHES has built XBMC in. I might have to reconsider my frontends.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wops, double post.
    Last edited by uteck; May 31st, 2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: double post

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the posts.

I have a central 26tb file server, and 3 media centers. (Bedroom, Living Room, Theater)

I have 2 AVerMedia AVerTV Bravo Hybrid PCIe, 1 Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 PCIe, and 1 Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe.

I would prefer to have them all as stand alone units that provide their own tv signal.

That way I do not have to leave 1 powered on all the time.

The file server is always on as it is, but its basically just an NAS, so I can't install a TV tuner in it.

I really won't be using the TV interface for much. (Just news, and sports)

I will record from time to time, but not often.

If the XBMC front end will work for that, thats fine.

The primary function is to stream videos and music from my server, which is why I went with XBMC as the main interface.

But at this point, the immediate problem I am having, is getting my TV tuners to work with ANYTHING aside with Windows Media Center.

Tried Media Portal when I was still into Windows.
    Then Mythbuntu
    Then (insert a dozen random linux based HTPC platforms)
    And now XBMCbuntu

This was all over the last 5 years.
    And every time, I ended up putting Windows back.

Honestly, all the bells and whistles in XBMC are pretty amazing, but if Windows just worked consistently, I would be fine with that.

I'm pretty sure if I can just get my tuners to work in Myth, that should get me to the point where I can figure out the rest on my own.

How bad is the XBMC frontend to Myth?
    Do you think it will be fine for my needs?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by uteck View Post
    You might want to try using LinHES as your MythTV backend, it might do the configuration for you. http://linhes.org/
    It has been a few years since I used it, but at the time the installer was fairly automated, so hopefully it will figure out your tuner card for you. Setting up the backend is the hardest part of useing MythTV, and LinHES has some good training wheels to get you going.

O_O it looks like LinHES has built XBMC in. I might have to reconsider my frontends.
    I tried that before as an OS, but never just as a backend.

Is it better as far as detecting hardware goes?

Beans

Problem: the AverTV Bravo Hybrid PCIe is unsupported under Linux. http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerMedia

The Hauppauge HVR1800 PCIe appears to be only partially supported --digital is supported, but analog support depends on which analog tuner is built into a particular card. http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...WinTV-HVR-1800 However, available documentation on this card seems to be about 3 years old. Things may have changed since then.

The Ceton card, at least is fully supported --installation documentation here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ceton_InfiniTV_4

Beans
    Distro

I found this page http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...I-E_%28H788%29
    At first I thought this meant there was a way to get the AverTV card working, but after a closer look, it looks like someone just tried to get it working at one point in time.

That sucks, because I have 2 of them, and they are low profile.

The Hauppauge is fine, because there are no analog channels available any more in my area anyway.
    (But it will only fit in one of my machines, as it is not low-profile)

I could not get Myth to connect to the Ceton, but as far as I can tell, it should work.
    However, I still have not had a cable card installed from the cable company.

I only want local Clear QAM channels, but I guess the Ceton cannot do that until it has been paired with a cable card?

But then you can take the cable card out afterwards, and it still works?

So I can order Cable TV, get the card activated, then cancel service, and I can get Clear QAM with the Ceton?

IDK, everything I read about the Ceton with Clear QAM seems a bit odd.

Can anyone recommend some cheap low-profile Clear QAM capable cards that will work with ease on Myth?

Beans

Probably the easiest QAM card of all to use in Linux is the PCHDTV HD-5500, which is half-height, but is PCI (not PCIe) http://www.pchdtv.com/ Now down to $89 evidently. You'll have to research a bit to find good half-height PCIe candidates, and then check their documentation over at linuxtv.org and/or the mythtv wiki to see how well these candidates are actually supported in Linux (and Mythtv)

But be aware that clear QAM is on its way out in the U.S., since the FCC cleared the way in December 2012 for all Cable Cos. to begin to encrypt the basic tier channels. Eventually you will need a cablecard or a set top box to receive anything at all over cable. Many areas have already implemented this. You might wish to research what is happening in your area with your particular cable provider. Over the Air digital is unaffected, of course, and all these tuners handle 8VSB without problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast