Thread: How to change default applications registered with Ubuntu's default messaging menu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

How to change default applications registered with Ubuntu's default messaging menu?

As default, following applications are registered with messaging menu.
    HTML Code:
        Chat-> Empathy
        Mail-> Thunderbird
    What I want to do is:
    HTML Code:
        Chat-> Pidgin
        Mail-> Evolution

If you install evolution (& evolution-indicator) or pidgin it will appear as a seperate menu inside messaging menu.It doesn't register with default menu , even if you uninstall the default applications.

The only way to remove them(default chat & mail menu) is to blacklist them.

A trick that has worked before
    --------------------------------------------
    After fresh install, If you click messaging menu,there are option like `setup chat` , `set up mail`..etc.

Now before doing anything, if you remove thunderbird & install evolution,then after restart when you first click on `setup mail` it automatically starts evolution setup!! It doesn't create a separate menu named 'evolution`.

Same thing with pidgin. BUT these only works after fresh install.

I think when you first click `setup mail` or `chat` it somehow register the default mail or chat client with `Mail` & `Chat` menu respectively. What I want is to undo these change.

So How do I reset messaging menu to factory default?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: How to change default applications registered with Ubuntu's default messaging men

OK Found it! Messaging menu actually uses alphabetical order.So chat comes before evolution or gwibber. So the order is for various applications which use messaging menu is like this:

Code:
    chat->Emapthy->Evolution->Gwibber->Liferea->Ubuntu One->X-chat
    So when using pidgin, the file-name (under /usr/share/indicators/messages/applications) has to be changed to "chat" from "pidgin".

But the file content remains the same which is
    Code:
    /usr/share/application/pidgin.desktop

Also the name section of the desktop file (in above case pidgin.desktop)has to be changed to "chat" from "pidgin".

Finally one needs to recompile messaging menu replacing "emapthy.desktop" with "pidgin.desktop" inside default-application.c
    file located under /src directory of the source package( indicator-messages-$version/src).

Same with Evolution/Thunderbird.

Thats ALL!
    DONE!