Thread: Acer Aspire 5336 Backgroundlight problem

Beans

Question Acer Aspire 5336 Backgroundlight problem

Hello, i'm trying to install the Ubuntu 12.04 desktop i386 it boot up just fine, but there is no background light on my screen what can i do? I'm downloading alternate version already and will try it in 20 minutes or so... Any1 had simillar problems? Sorry for poor english it's not mine primary language...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Acer Aspire 5336 Backgroundlight problem

Beans

I still don't get it should i continue install without background light or what? My lights went out as i boot Ubuntu from disk...
    It will be a lot harder to install ubuntu without light as i can't see anything on screen

Beans

I had this issue with 12.10 and 13.04 when you first boot the disk get into the grub boot menu and press F6 and select nomodeset. You will be able to install fine no problems and boot up from drive with no problems but the resolution will be out and it will run slow so to fix this you go into grub sudo gedit /etc/default/grub then change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor" then change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux" make sure you use a cap L in Linux. You need to delete nomodeset from the grub script that will sort out the resolution and the slowness but not the back light. After you have done all this press save and exit back to the terminal and run sudo update-grub so it is set up for the next time you boot. enter sudo gedit /etc/rc.local (you might have to be root for this) then between does nothing and end 0 add setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00

This has completely cured it for me I don't have to do anything to it now and it took me 2 days to sort out running brilliantly with no issues. Just to add you might have read to start it with acpi=off don't as it will disable your WiFi!
    Last edited by jayismyname; May 22nd, 2013 at 07:00 PM.