Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only buying native linux games!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Only buying native linux games!

Hi,

I have an idea to get more games developed for linux. Vow to never again buy a non-native linux game. Call it the "No Non Native Gamer" movement (N3G), or whatever.. I have considered the consequences, and would wait it out, even for a couple years!

If you take a second to consider its not difficult to envision the progression to seeing mainstreams titles popping up in the repos, apt-get install Left4Dead2 But seriously, first it would become the ideal platform to kickstart indie game developers, these companies would grow with the funding of abstinent gamers trying to get some action, which would cause larger companies to feel threatened. This threat would rise in the ranks until eventually guys like valve won't just be trying to get something working, they would have to! It might even become straight up profitable to port to this percentile of the market?

Some might argue why bother? Valves looks like they are trying, and hell unity is now 100% supported in linux. I would argue it is for exactly that reason we should. The time is just right. N3Gs unite!... or whatever
    Dr. Robert Melamede: 'Marijuana is responsible for evolution itself.'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Only buying native linux games!

Moved to the Cafe, as this really isn't a game thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, I'm not much of a gamer, but I do think we should support the indie developers as much as possible, especially those who support Linux. I recently played Amnesia and I thought it was a really good game, especially one with such a small budget when compared to mediocre franchises like Call of Duty (in my opinion).

I think a lot of developers are turned off by Linux because they think they won't make money from it, which I can understand because a lot of Linux and Android users hate paying for software (and if you look at Android vs. iOS in terms of app sales revenue, iOS makes the most money, despite Android having majority market share).

With Valve supporting Linux, it could potentially spark a new era of development for Linux. There is no guarantee however. Epic Games released Unreal Tournament 2004 for Linux and as far as I know it didn't really do much for Linux game development.

Beans
    Distro

@tg Goeie dag!

I am a linux evangelist (not really), but to be honest in 2004 how could you compare Warty Warthog to XP from the perspective of the mass? Today it is whole different story.
    Last edited by expelledboy; August 17th, 2012 at 03:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Without being too verbose about it, i actually am doing this. Haven't purchased any games for years, and the ones i will support, must work with linux. This includes online gaming, ie. Ryzom has a native client.

When Steam for linux is ready, I'll look back into purchasing more games.
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You do more by proving you will buy linux games than by saying you won't buy non-linux games.

Companies pursue profit. They don't care what you won't buy, just what you will.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Linux support is one of my priorities, just not a high one. I buy games because they are good, Linux or not.
    *ducks for cover

Beans
    Distro

That would all be part of the package. You only "buy" native linux games.

Beans

FWIW, I also only buy Linux games. I've broken the rule twice, when buying indie royale bundles which unlike the HiBs, supply Windows only games along with the Linux games in the bundle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by expelledboy View Post
    I have considered the consequences, and would wait it out, even for a couple years!
    Wow, that long huh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast