Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon MX892 Printer Drivers

Beans

Canon MX892 Printer Drivers

Hello, I am trying to get a Canon MX892 all-in-one printer to do simple b&w print functions from my ubuntu 10.04 machine. I have installed cnijfilter-common & cnijfilter-mx890series packages seemingly successfully from Canon Europe web-site (USA says linux support is unavailable). When I go through the GUI printer install sequence via system>administration>printing - it recognizes a driver now as a Canon MX890 seemingly with no problems. Yet, when I go to print, the print job flashes by in the queue super fast and nothing at all happens with the printer - ubuntu gives no indication that anything went wrong. Any ideas? Anybody get this printer working on Linux?

Beans

Re: Canon MX892 Printer Drivers

Would it be easier or possible to get connectivity out of a wired ethernet connection via router instead of using this direct connect USB? Or would the needed drivers be the same?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey, from gui remove printer and press add new printer then choose select ppd file and navigate to usr/share/ppd/ from there choose your printers model .ppd

Beans

Thanks for the idea. I found the .ppd buried in Canon's .rpm. I extracted that out just to the desktop for testing purposes. I went through and pointed to the file via the printer setup gui. It acts like everything should work but still nothing... Any tips on finding maybe a better .ppd or something? Maybe download the Windows driver package from Canon and see if there is a .ppd buried within it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey, do it the way i,ve described from usr/share/ppd/ and it should work

Beans

Unfortunately that didn't work either. May be that the driver / ppd doesn't work - like I say Canon USA doesn't supply one - thought I could get by with what seemed to be a Euro equivalent. It would be great to hear if anybody has gotten this printer going on a Linux machine? Maybe some generic .ppd I could try?

Beans

I am not sure if you have subscribed to this thread;

...........so you may not see this 2 weeks later ..........

I wonder if you have a 64bit system;

many canon drivers are 32bit so they assume to look in /lib for what they want, instead of /lib64 so a symbolic link is needed

as here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2021854

sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64
    sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib64

Beans

You might also try the gutenprint driver that is included with your OS. When you try to add a new printer in CUPS, you can select Canon as the vendor and then the MX890 family driver (it should say something about the gutenprint version as well in the selection---don't choose a foomatic one, for example).

For B/W I think you should have no trouble with the gutenprint driver.
    Learning the mechanism requires good teachers and dedication

Beans

Unhappy Re: Canon MX892 Printer Drivers

None of this worked for me. I have Ubuntu 10.04 and my printer is a Canon Pixma MX892. Brand new and I can't even use it. So frustrated!!!!!!!

Beans

I'm deeply interested only in the gutenprint support for the MX890 family.
    So for those of you who want to try the gutenprint driver for printing, please let me know what happens when you try to use it.
    Make sure you set CUPS debug on and supply the relevant parts of the debug file output, including of coure the gutenprint part.
    You might need to read up on how to set debug in CUPS.
    Regards,
    Gernot
    Learning the mechanism requires good teachers and dedication

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast