Thread: [NEWBIE] Cant Install Linux

Beans

[NEWBIE] Cant Install Linux

so i tried posting on linux mint forums and not getting any help so will try here.

i have tried installing 3 different linux distros and none have worked. ubuntu 12.04, mint 13 KDE, fedora 17 KDE. (i have mageia KDE as well, but havent tried an install)

i honestly didnt try the live disc of ubuntu before trying to install. so i can't speak to if that live cd might work. the other 3 (mint,fedora,mageia)all live cd's worked. i was able to navigate and play around with the distros.

after playing around with all 3, i had decided on mint to install. so i hit the install button during the live cd session. run through the installation guide/wizard. it finishes, i reboot, i select mint 13 (i'm dual booting with vista) and nothing happens. think it just sat with a gray screen.

so....i delete and remove partitions and get rid of mint completely. decide i'll try fedora, again installation wizard was fine, it installs. i reboot, select fedora, and again just a black screen with like a gray line in the top left corner.

i thought maybe i was screwing something up during the installation guide/wizard for partitioning. so i decided to try fedora again, but this time i'll create a partition before installing and then select the option to install fedora into that pre made partition. do that, everything works, go to reboot, boom same thing. black screen with a gray line in the corner.

at this point i'm completely dumbfounded..i'm a complete linux newb, i kind of expected some problems once i got into working with linux, but not simply just trying to install it onto my hard drive.

can anyone help me out?

heres some specs if that helps:

windows vista 64 bit
    3 ghz processor
    AMD radeon 6670 graphics card
    4 gigs of ram

if you need more info, just ask i'll try to provide an answer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [NEWBIE] Cant Install Linux