Thread: best way to install gnome 3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile best way to install gnome 3

What is the best way to install gnome 3 for 12.04. I've tried several methods and it still just hangs, when I login I get the background wallpaper screen but no icons, or taskbars so can not go any further.

I'm running kernel 3.2.0-29-generic
    graphics driver is NVIDIA GT218
    monitor is benq G2420HD

I've read many faq's and tried numerous things but still no luck. Any suggestions most welcome.

It might be best to diagnose where the problem is with current install but I don't know how. It gets so close to completing!

Thanks

Jim

Beans

Re: best way to install gnome 3

If I remember correctly, I just ticked the "gnome-shell" package in synaptic package manager and installed, that's it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There are a few threads about losing the desktop with unity but no one seems to come up with any fix. It is getting to be too many to just be a fluke.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by PaulInBHC View Post
    There are a few threads about losing the desktop with unity but no one seems to come up with any fix. It is getting to be too many to just be a fluke.
    Thanks Paul,

That is the problem, I've done a lot of work trying to get either unity or gnome 3 to work properly and neither does. My hardware is all quite standard, so I'm quite disappointed. I think ubuntu has taken a big step backwards and it must be very hard to fix!

Thanks

J