Thread: Portable Media Player with Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Portable Media Player with Ubuntu

Hi everone !

I'm considering buying a portable media player (iPod, Walkman or other) and I would like to know your point of view about :

• Which player is best supported by Banshee or Rhythmbox (import, export, organize, synchronize, ...) ?
    • Are there any player supporting open source formats such VORBIS, FLAC, THEORA, ...

Thank you everyone for your feedback !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Portable Media Player with Ubuntu

I recently purchased an 8GB SanDisk Sansa clip+ (further exandable via microSD)

It is automatically recognised as a media player by Rhythmbox for import / export / organisation / sync etc. You can also simply drop files onto it using Nautilus.

Plays MP3, WMA, Secured WMA, audiobook, Ogg Vorbis and FLAC.

It's a tiny thing and definitely more functional than "bling" when it comes to looks (e.g. you won't be getting cover art on its tiny screen). Sounds great to me - but of course that's very subjective.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use my Android phone as media player. It supports flac and ogg vorbis.
    The Banshee plugin for syncing android phones automatically converts flac to ogg (q4 by default) when syncing your phone, but you could also drag and drop files manually.

About the ipod: since it doesn't support any other formats than mp3, mp4 and apple formats, it's the worst portable media player there is imo.

Beans

Definitely worth hunting up one that can play Ogg Vorbis. When I was in the market for one of these devices Cowon was the name for multiple formats, perhaps this is still the same?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hi,

I finally bought a Sansa Fuze+ made by SanDisk and it works very well with every formats including the open ones like Vorbis and FLAC. It is also very well supported by the Banshee media player on Ubuntu .

Many thanks