Thread: gimp transparency layer not working?

Beans

gimp transparency layer not working?

I have posted in the gimp forums, but they are pretty dead compared to here so I figured I would give this a shot...

I have been a longtime photoshop and paint.net user so I am familiar with the functions, its just a new program setup is a little confusing.

I want to make a front layer slightly transparent (check my website in sig for examples on the charts) but gimp is not allowing me to do this, everytime I slide the opacity slider in the layer window, nothing happens until I cross 50% and then the layer just disappears. I originally had a gif and I thought that was the problem, but I've also tried saving it as a .png and .xcf and still it won't work.

Anyone know the solution here? (I have attached an example file that will not go transparent for me. The layer on top of the chart with the writing and lines should be slightly transparent...)

Thanks.

EDIT: I actually got a response pretty quick over at gimpforums, I guess I spoke to soon.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LLCoolJeff; August 20th, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
    RadBrains.com - unrelated trading blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: gimp transparency layer not working?

Looking at the image properties, I noticed the Color Space was set to Indexed Color (9 colors). Changing it to RGB (Image menu > Mode > RGB) should fix it.

Beans

Re: gimp transparency layer not working?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy Tux View Post
    Looking at the image properties, I noticed the Color Space was set to Indexed Color (9 colors). Changing it to RGB (Image menu > Mode > RGB) should fix it.
    yes, that worked, thank you
    RadBrains.com - unrelated trading blog