Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consensus on HDMI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Consensus on HDMI

How is the HDMI output on the current laptops? I was particulary thinking of using the Gazelle Professional connected to a 32" 1080i television to watch youtube documentaries.

Beans

Re: Consensus on HDMI

I have Pangolin, but the previous model with Sandy Bridge. HDMI works great, I have the laptop almost constantly connected to external monitors and TV. Both sound and video work great.

I can't imagine the current Ivy Bridge laptops being worse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a gazp6 running 12.04. I tried to HDMI to my tv - no joy. Is there a tutorial?
    1 - System76 Gazelle Professional, 2 - HP Media Center PC m7680n, Intel Core 2 E6400, 2GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It could be your television settings. My TV has multiple input formats. You have to switch to the correct input through the menu in order for your tv to listen on that port.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I regularly connect my gazp7 to my receiver, which in turn is connected to my speakers and my TV. I've never had any problem with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mapman88 View Post
    I have a gazp6 running 12.04. I tried to HDMI to my tv - no joy. Is there a tutorial?
    Your Gazelle uses Nvidia graphics. You'd need to configure it from the "Nvidia X Server Settings" Application.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Makes perfect sense isantop.

Beans

I have (and love) a GazP6, and I regularly use it for HDMI. The one annoying thing is that the TV does an "overscan" which you have to correct for. There is a setting in the NVidia X Server settings (somewhat difficult to find) to deal with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    I have (and love) a GazP6, and I regularly use it for HDMI. The one annoying thing is that the TV does an "overscan" which you have to correct for. There is a setting in the NVidia X Server settings (somewhat difficult to find) to deal with it.
    or just deactivate the overscan feature on your tv

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I don't really expect an answer because it's more a virtualbox question. If I get the 3720 with VT-d, will vms be able to talk directly to the hdmi-out? I'm only asking because I'm assuming direct communication (VT-d) would allow for accpetable flash playback.

If not I assume the host Ubuntu can just enlarge virtualbox session and play through hdmi via Ubuntu host.

However I'm also pretty sure that virtualbox OSE doesn't support peripheral support.

I don't really expect system76 to answer this because apparantly hdmi works shipped, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Why would I want to do this? Flash needs secure isolation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast