Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Change screensaver to photo slideshow(?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Change screensaver to photo slideshow(?)

TOZ: I do not have the you mentioned under GLSlideshow under advanced settings. All I got is Commandline: glslideshow -root
    and Visual: GL
    ed@opengeolog.com
    They say I have a focus problem, I say that I master multifocus phenomena.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by eldiabolosk View Post
    TOZ: I do not have the you mentioned under GLSlideshow under advanced settings. All I got is Commandline: glslideshow -root
    and Visual: GL

Help please.
    Look on the "Advanced" tab - the one next to the "Display Modes" tab on the main xscreensaver preferences window (not the button you click if you go through "Settings").

Beans

Peter Maunder writes:
    There were problems with the XSCREENSAVER slideshow picking up the picture folder as there was a missing dependency libwww-perl in some distributions. I had to download the library for one of my machines. The problem was supposed to be fixed but may still be there. I could see the preview slideshow but GLSlideshow would not find the chosen folder when XScreensaver tripped.
    I've found the same issue on the download I took yesterday - Ubuntu-12.04-.1-desktop-i386.iso. The libwww-perl dependency was missing.

This site was useful:
    http://useranswer.com/answer/install...buntu-12-04se/

I installed (from a terminal window) this command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libwww-perl
    This solved the issue.

Note: prior to discovering the missing dependency, I had deleted the Gnome-Screensaver and installed the XScreensaver per the same instructions that OM55 gave in the above post of August 15th, 2012 11:47 AM.

Beans

Hi everyboy,

I have a problem similar to that of AnTonyWmM: I removed gnome-screensaver, installe xscreensaver, selected the slideshow mode, but both in the settings box and in the preview, the application just picks up just one image and repeat it.
    The images are in a directory are all in the same directory and are named with numbers (i.e.: 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg etcetc)

Thank you in advance for helping

Marcello

Beans

Well...it seems that i fixed it. I had a suggestion from this post: by reading the documentation of xcreensaver it seems that the -pan and -duration command line options are involved in choosing the number of time we want an image appearing.

-duration seconds

How long each image will be displayed before loading a new one.
    Default 30 seconds.

-pan seconds

How long each pan-and-zoom should last. Default 6 seconds.

With the default settings of -pan 6 -duration 30, each image
    will be displayed five times (30/6), and then a new image will
    be loaded. If you want a new image to be loaded at each fade,
    then set -pan and -duration to the same value.

Therfore I went on "settings" → "advanced" and in the command line i put both values to 6 seconds (but you can choose another value) and it fixed it.

WOW!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I had the right directory of images selected in GLSlideshow (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS), but they weren't showing. The below just worked for me:

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Aisling View Post
    Peter Maunder writes:
    I've found the same issue on the download I took yesterday - Ubuntu-12.04-.1-desktop-i386.iso. The libwww-perl dependency was missing.

This site was useful:
    http://useranswer.com/answer/install...buntu-12-04se/

I installed (from a terminal window) this command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libwww-perl
    This solved the issue.

Note: prior to discovering the missing dependency, I had deleted the Gnome-Screensaver and installed the XScreensaver per the same instructions that OM55 gave in the above post of August 15th, 2012 11:47 AM.
    As soon as I installed libwww-perl as above, my pics were visible - thank you!
    Last edited by AndyCinDallas; June 8th, 2013 at 11:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I would also like to use a slideshow of my pictures folder for a screensaver, but I don't see how to do it with xscreensaver. Xscreensaver says "Directory does not exist: 'home/randall/pictures.' Please see screenshot. Well maybe not -- I don't see how to add a screenshot from my comcomputer.

What am I doing wrong? And how do I fix it?
    libwww-perl is already installed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S., One solution, if I could do it, would be to install mate screensaver [but I'd only want mate screensaver and only mate screensaver (not the whole mate desktop)] on Ubuntu.
    HP Z400 Workstation, Xeon 3680 hexcore 3.33 GHz, 18 GB ram, 2TB hdd; Windows 10; Ubuntu 18.04/Mate; Deepin 20/Beta (doesn't boot)//,160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Randymanme View Post
    ....."Directory does not exist: 'home/randall/pictures.'.....
    The default pictures folder name is Pictures (capital P). Double-check to make sure you have it spelled correctly, Linux is case sensitive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thank you for the suggestion, but that doesn't work either. Now I get: "Error: File does not exist /home/randall/Pictures"
    HP Z400 Workstation, Xeon 3680 hexcore 3.33 GHz, 18 GB ram, 2TB hdd; Windows 10; Ubuntu 18.04/Mate; Deepin 20/Beta (doesn't boot)//,160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Randymanme View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion, but that doesn't work either. Now I get: "Error: File does not exist /home/randall/Pictures"
    Can you open a terminal window, type in the following commands, and post back the results:
    Code:
    ls -l /home/randall
    ...and
    Code:
    ls -l /home/randall/[Pp]ictures

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast