Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shall I put my laptop in the fridge while running make?

Beans

Lightbulb Shall I put my laptop in the fridge while running make?

Hi! I am not home right now and an old laptop is all I have with me.
    I want to configure / make / make install node.js on it but when I tried, it's temperature reached 100 degrees C so I interrupted it with ^C. The problem is that I want my node.js compiled but I am worried about the laptop.
    So here is the question : Is it going te be bad for the laptop if I put it in the fridge while running make?
    I am serious. Is this going to break it? I know these are stupid questions but I don't understand as much of fridges as I do of computers.
    It will be even more helpful if you can think of a way of avoiding the fridge. Is there some way of stopping the script from time to time for example?
    Thank you in advance

P.S: Perhaps this thread should be in a fridge forum?

Beans

Re: Shall I put my laptop in the fridge while running make?

I don't really think that putting your laptop in the fridge is a good idea at all!
    I am almost sure this will lead to breaking your hardware...

Did you try using a Cooler Pad? It might help a bit..
    I have no idea if you can pause the script, im sorry.

Again, don't put the laptop in the fridge. Definitely NOT a good idea!
    I hope this helped a bit!
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

NO! Putting computer into fridge is not good idea. +1 for Cooler pad. This will most likely help your computer to cool down. Also check if your computer is not full of dust, because 100C is not healthy temperature.
    Last edited by GreatDanton; August 6th, 2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: typing mistake

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans

I can't say it's a great idea, but I've done it, but just for a minute or two. Leaving it there for an extended period of time would definitely be a bad idea. Starting out hot and cooling it down rather quickly isn't near as bad as having it be very cold and heating it quickly. The only reason I did it was because I NEEDED to prevent an overheating so I could be sure all my work was completed and saved.

I just posted about overheating on another thread, so I'll quote myself

Quote Originally Posted by jnedenrod View Post
    As for the overheating, I have an HP Pavilion dv6 myself and had it overheat a few months ago. If you know how, take the computer apart and clean the fans. HP was kind enough to make it so you have to take apart the ENTIRE laptop to get to the fans... grrr! Since mine overheated, I started using a slightly elevated tray with two external fans. Obviously, this gets more air into the system to cool it, but it also helps prevent particles from getting into the system.

As with any laptop, always try to put it on a hard surface and if you must put it on your lap, (after all, it is a "laptop") do so in short intervals and try to avoid dust. Hair from pets can cause overheating rather quickly. I always take the battery out and run it via AC power. The battery can get quite hot if it's plugged in. Just be sure you don't accidentally unplug it, and try to keep the AC cord away from any foot-traffic.

Beans

Thanks for the responses! I'll try removing the battery. If that doesn't help I'll start searching for a cooler pad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I haven't had the need but there's this:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/j...rconfig-applet

You might be able to select a power conservation mode which should also run cooler. Is the fan running, exhausting hot air?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

+1 for Jupiter.

Running it on my Inspiron 1545. Temp rarely gets above 55C and as an added bonus, battery life is way better.

I use a place mat (from dining table) when working on my lap - works just fine letting the air move freely. Also just cleaned fan and replaced thermal paste on the CPU.
    Last edited by fyfe54; August 6th, 2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: More info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

What if the laptop was inside a sealed bag to avoid humidity?

That's probably bad for the fridge, but would it be bad for the laptop?

Really curious.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No.
    Refrigerators produce condensation, which would put your system at equal risk as running it under the sink. Jupiter would be a definite step in a direction. Most definitely find a cool environment, and look around for a cooling pad, they do make them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post
    What if the laptop was inside a sealed bag to avoid humidity?

That's probably bad for the fridge, but would it be bad for the laptop?

Really curious.
    Putting a laptop in a bag would cause the laptop to overheat even faster, ala greenhouse effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast