Thread: Minicom 'minirc.dfl' file does not exist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Post Minicom 'minirc.dfl' file does not exist

K, so I just got this old Catalyst 2900 xl switch from a friend of mine, and hooked it up to an extra comp of mine running ubuntu. I installed minicom and setserial, I got into minicom to configure the serial port. when i exit out and try to save, it says I can't save to 'minirc.dfl' . I went to this site that were someone solved the same issue by editing the file directly. I went to the directory through the file manager, only to find that there aren't any files in /etc/minicom/ at all. I even ctrl+h to see if there were any files hidden, and found nothing.

Now before I go out of my way to just up and invent the file myself, is this odd? is there an update I need to be making or other files that need to exist that I need to gather together or download before I go any further?

Beans

Re: Minicom 'minirc.dfl' file does not exist

You need root permissions to save the serial port settings as default.
    Code:
    sudo minicom
    After you done with the settings, make sure you select
    Save setup as dfl
    Then run minicom without sudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bakegoodz View Post
    You need root permissions to save the serial port settings as default.
    Code:
    sudo minicom
    After you done with the settings, make sure you select
    Then run minicom without sudo
    k, i got it to save the .dfl, but when i run it without sudo, i get
    Code:
    minicom: cannot open \dev\tty0: Permission denied
    when i run it with sudo I get
    Code:
    Welcome to minicom 2.5

OPTIONS: I18n
    Compiled on May 2 2011, 10:05:24
    Port /dev/tty0

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

CTRL-A Z for help | 9600 8N1 | NOR | Minicom 2.5  | VT102|   Offline
    the switch is on and plugged in, from the impressions i get from this site, i should get a screen looking like this.

Any quick advice or hints before I go through digging up all the manuals? I'm apologize for being a drag, but i'm used to using hyperterminal, and i'm trying to get familiar with minicom for linux.

regards

edit:
    at this point i'm starting to think that one end of the console cable i have is bad. but i can't be to sure yet.
    Last edited by murderd2death; August 15th, 2012 at 03:24 AM.

Beans

You probably want to use a serial port and not the virtual terminal. A serial port is /dev/ttyS0 or a USB-serial adapter is /dev/ttyUSB0

The instructions I gave were from memory, but it been at least a year since I used minicom. It is strange that I found Ubuntu only allows root access to my serial adapter now. It has been documented not to need sudo before http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index....icom_in_Ubuntu
    It worked after I changed permissions of /dev/ttyUSB0, but will change back after reboot. Probably not worth writing a udev rule to modify the device permissions, so I guess just run as sudo or root every time.
    Last edited by bakegoodz; August 15th, 2012 at 03:25 PM.