Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting frustrated here

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Getting frustrated here

Quote Originally Posted by bstrawt90 View Post
    Ok it has been a while since I booted something with another OS, so yeah I did just basically copy and drag iso file to thumb drive.
    I've been following this (I was thinking it was an improperly created Live Disc at first and nothing hardware related, but wasn't sure I was totally following you in regard to what you've got set up at the moment). What I'm not sure about is whether or not you have any bootable system at all. If you do, then what you need to do is make a bootable USB image from that .iso that you downloaded (your choice which you use, although a lighter weight version may compliment your system a bit more - age is not as much a concern as speed and flexibility of the hardware). There are a few tools available, and the Ubuntu Community Documentation covers this pretty well:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In.../FromUSBStick/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drmrgd View Post
    I've been following this (I was thinking it was an improperly created Live Disc at first and nothing hardware related, but wasn't sure I was totally following you in regard to what you've got set up at the moment). What I'm not sure about is whether or not you have any bootable system at all. If you do, then what you need to do is make a bootable USB image from that .iso that you downloaded (your choice which you use, although a lighter weight version may compliment your system a bit more - age is not as much a concern as speed and flexibility of the hardware). There are a few tools available, and the Ubuntu Community Documentation covers this pretty well:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In.../FromUSBStick/
    Ya thats what im thinking, I think I deleted the boot partition from my cpu when I was setting up ubuntu awhile ago. I need to allocate memory for it(boot partition in order to actually b able to boot other OSs) thru terminal since I.cant use gpart and I will go ahead and read into how to create a live disk the right way

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unless there's a trick that I'm unaware of, I think without any bootable OS, you're sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place. It sounds to me like you have broken your Ubuntu bootloader on your HDD by accidentally deleting the partition - is this right? It also sounds like you didn't make a bootable USB drive and can't boot from that - is that correct? I didn't read anywhere about Windows, and so I'm assuming this is just a single boot computer with Ubuntu - is that correct?

If all of those are true, you're going to need to find a working computer to make a repair device. You've got a few choices:

1. You can create a Gparted Live CD that will allow you to re-partition the hard drive and remake the boot partition. I'm not clear as to whether you deleted the partition and reallocated the space, or if you just relabeled it as something else (in other words, change the flag from /boot to something else). A little more info might help guide you the right way.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php/

2. You can create a Boot Repair live CD (or USB of course) that may be able to help you repair the /boot partition and get the current system booting again. In that package, there's also Bootinfo Script that will help us determine how your drive(s) are partitioned, and what's going on with the /boot partition. This actually might be more useful as a first step rather than Gparted, especially if you're unsure how to fix the boot partition on your drive and need guidance.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

3. If you've got nothing to lose on the current install and just want to scrap everything, you can create a working Ubuntu live disc, which you can use to re-install the OS (which I'm thinking is what you wanted in the first place). During the re-installation, you'll have the opportunity to repartition the drive if you choose, and certainly remake your boot partition so the system will boot normally again with the new OS. Depending on what OS you have at your disposal now, you have a couple choices, which are outlined in the last link I sent.

I'm pretty sure that in order to get any further, you'll need a computer that is bootable to be able to create bootable media, and consequently fix your current borked computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drmrgd View Post
    Unless there's a trick that I'm unaware of, I think without any bootable OS, you're sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place. It sounds to me like you have broken your Ubuntu bootloader on your HDD by accidentally deleting the partition - is this right? It also sounds like you didn't make a bootable USB drive and can't boot from that - is that correct? I didn't read anywhere about Windows, and so I'm assuming this is just a single boot computer with Ubuntu - is that correct?

If all of those are true, you're going to need to find a working computer to make a repair device. You've got a few choices:

1. You can create a Gparted Live CD that will allow you to re-partition the hard drive and remake the boot partition. I'm not clear as to whether you deleted the partition and reallocated the space, or if you just relabeled it as something else (in other words, change the flag from /boot to something else). A little more info might help guide you the right way.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php/

2. You can create a Boot Repair live CD (or USB of course) that may be able to help you repair the /boot partition and get the current system booting again. In that package, there's also Bootinfo Script that will help us determine how your drive(s) are partitioned, and what's going on with the /boot partition. This actually might be more useful as a first step rather than Gparted, especially if you're unsure how to fix the boot partition on your drive and need guidance.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

3. If you've got nothing to lose on the current install and just want to scrap everything, you can create a working Ubuntu live disc, which you can use to re-install the OS (which I'm thinking is what you wanted in the first place). During the re-installation, you'll have the opportunity to repartition the drive if you choose, and certainly remake your boot partition so the system will boot normally again with the new OS. Depending on what OS you have at your disposal now, you have a couple choices, which are outlined in the last link I sent.

I'm pretty sure that in order to get any further, you'll need a computer that is bootable to be able to create bootable media, and consequently fix your current borked computer.
    Thats exactly right the desktop is solo on ubuntu, and I think I accidently deleted that partition. I have nothing to lose, I just want to turn it into a ubuntu server so I plugged in the thumbdrive when I was done downloading the iso file of ubuntu server to it but maybe I copied file wrong. I literally just clicked n dragged from downloads tothumb drive. And I want to do option three cause I have nothing to lose but no matter what I try its always no boottable in partition. If I do option 1 would I have to download it to thumb drive and startup comp off that instead of going thru ubuntu? Because I have no gui after.i log into ubuntu, just terminal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12