Thread: Does the DE effect Flash and Other performance?

Beans

Does the DE effect Flash and Other performance?

I have Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop with an intel graphics card and Xubuntu 12.0.4 on my Desktop with an ATI one. Some applications like flash based video sites like blip.tv have trouble on my desktop and stutter and eventually fail to run. My laptop handles them just fine. I even installed the restricted extras on the desktop and still the stuttering and eventual failure persists.

I am trying to think what could be causing this. The main differences I see between my laptop and desktop are the Desktop has an AMD processor, AMD graphics card, and XFCE and the laptop has an Intel processor, an intel integrated chip and Unity.

What do you think could be causing this?

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Does the DE effect Flash and Other performance?

Quote Originally Posted by timetopat View Post
    I have Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop with an intel graphics card and Xubuntu 12.0.4 on my Desktop with an ATI one. Some applications like flash based video sites like blip.tv have trouble on my desktop and stutter and eventually fail to run. My laptop handles them just fine. I even installed the restricted extras on the desktop and still the stuttering and eventual failure persists.

I am trying to think what could be causing this. The main differences I see between my laptop and desktop are the Desktop has an AMD processor, AMD graphics card, and XFCE and the laptop has an Intel processor, an intel integrated chip and Unity.

What do you think could be causing this?

Thank you
    More than likely it's the ATI graphics card. Which model is it.

Beans

Re: Does the DE effect Flash and Other performance?

It is an AMD Radeon HD 6670. I am using the AMD Catalyst Control Center drivers for it.
    If it is the card, would swapping to an Nvidia card be as simple as just swapping it out and then installing the Nvidia drivers and removing the AMD ones?