Thread: Looking for opinion on the Gazelle Professional

Beans

Looking for opinion on the Gazelle Professional

I am thinking of buying the latest version of the Gazelle Professional as my next laptop. It looks really good and the price is very good for what you get, I think! I want to get some opinion about what other owners think of the laptop, specifically for the following reasons:

- I live in The Netherlands so how is the shipping outside of the US? What are the shipping costs and did it arrive in good condition?

- How is the gaming performance on this laptop? I like to play a game once in a while, are the latest games at least playable on an Intel HD 4000? Of course it doesn't have to play them on highest settings.

- For some small tasks I am still locked to using Windows. So I am probably going to make a small Windows partition for that. Are there also any Windows drivers available for the Gazelle Professional?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Looking for opinion on the Gazelle Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Nardon View Post
    - I live in The Netherlands so how is the shipping outside of the US? What are the shipping costs and did it arrive in good condition?
    I recently bought a Gazelle Professional and had it shipped to Sweden. The shipping cost ended up at $132. Keep in mind that you will also have to pay VAT, which is calculated as:
    VAT = VAT RATE x (COMPUTER PRICE + SHIPPING COST)

For example, in my case I payed $1233 to System76 for the computer, $132 to UPS for shipping, and 0.25 x (1233 + 132) = $341 to the Swedish state in taxes, for a grand total of $1706. I believe the VAT rate in the Netherlands is 19%, as opposed to 25% in Sweden.

I placed the order on June 18 and received it on June 28, which is very fast indeed considering the machine had to be assembled before being shipped. UPS delivered it to my door in perfect condition.

- How is the gaming performance on this laptop? I like to play a game once in a while, are the latest games at least playable on an Intel HD 4000? Of course it doesn't have to play them on highest settings.
    For the most part it's pretty good. Some examples of games that run well are Oil Rush, Amnesia, Super Meat Boy, Bastion and The Journey Down. The only game I have encountered so far that doesn't achieve an acceptable frame-rate is Trine 2, but I think that is mostly due to poor optimization on the part of the developers. There are also a few games that have issues with the open source Intel driver and don't work at all. The only one I can think of right now is Shank, but there might be more.

- For some small tasks I am still locked to using Windows. So I am probably going to make a small Windows partition for that. Are there also any Windows drivers available for the Gazelle Professional?
    Yes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just recently got my Gazelle, had it for almost a week.

I'm not a gamer so I cannot comment on this but as far as still needing Windows for something I have the same issue for work. I opted to use VBox with Win7 and so far it has performed very well(knock on wood).

Here are two threads, one from me and one written by philbert who also got his Gazelle recently.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2034105&page=2

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1985103&page=6

Beans

Thanks a lot for the responses!

So overall it's a very decent laptop as far as I can read. Shipping to Europe is a bit more expensive than I thought though..

Might need to choose a few cheaper parts to stay below €1000,- which is my maximum budget. I think I will go and order this one as my new laptop, just because I want to buy an Ubuntu based system.

Beans

I have just taken receipt of my new Gazelle laptop. I am more than impressed. I have had no issues to date and can thoroughly recommend this computer for all Ubuntu enthusiasts!