Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C/C++ most used for open source development

Beans

C/C++ most used for open source development

Hi,

I hope this is the right place/forum for my query. If not, then I request the forum admin to move it to the right place, thanks.

I have often read on the net that many of the open source software are written in C and C++. Some also are written in Perl and Python. this is interesting to me. Can you please elaborate as to the wide use of C and C++ in creation of open source software? Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: C/C++ most used for open source development

A wide range of programming languages are used in open-source development. It used to be that you used scripting languages for quick programs, and compiled languages for larger projects, but that's not the case these days. However, C (and sometimes C++) is commonly used for libraries and many old, tried and tested programs, such as the kernel, X.org, and many others.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    C (and sometimes C++) is commonly used for libraries and many old, tried and tested programs, such as the kernel, X.org, and many others.
    Yes, you are right. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Also c++ is the best easy(ok you may say python is easy but only for easy projects) and very powerfull flexible you can use qt with c++
    be a open source developer , php , c++ more information from ubuntu one ; do not give full screen applications full control
    http://linkbun.ch/1sdv

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tech291083 View Post
    Hi,

I hope this is the right place/forum for my query. If not, then I request the forum admin to move it to the right place, thanks.

I have often read on the net that many of the open source software are written in C and C++. Some also are written in Perl and Python. this is interesting to me. Can you please elaborate as to the wide use of C and C++ in creation of open source software? Thanks.
    There are far more development tools and libraries in this FOSS world that work well with the Cs.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    There are far more development tools and libraries in this FOSS world that work well with the Cs.
    That's absolutely right, but it seems like that's changing. A lot of the big libraries and frameworks have bindings for a lot of different languages.

But C/C++ is pretty low level, and unless you jack up your code, they are the next best thing to assembly language, as far as speed and efficiency go. If you use some of the good libraries, frameworks, and engines for C++, it's really not as hard as people make it out to be.

C++ is where my heart is.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Mr Linux torvalds.... your opinion on C++ please

Quote from Linus
    C++ is a horrible language.
    I won't post the rest here due to Linus's colorful language choice, and I'll resist linking to the page where he's talking about it for the same reason

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: C/C++ most used for open source development

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    C++ is where my heart is.
    Amen to that! +1
    Registered Linux user: #543082
    Registered Ubuntu user: #34219
    http://dvisagie.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by shubham1 View Post
    Also c++ is the best easy(ok you may say python is easy but only for easy projects) and very powerfull flexible you can use qt with c++
    Sorry, but this is untrue. Especially the python part.

There's many easy language choices (IMHO, most are quite easy to learn, after the first), of which C++ is one of the slightly more difficult.

Python is also extremely fast, powerful and flexible. Several big projects have been made with python. And yes, you can use Qt with python, although that's just one toolkit from many. If you mean that python doesn't have bindings for library X, then most projects have python bindings these days, and if not, there's nothing stopping you making your own.

Hope I wasn't too unfair, no offence was intended.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: C/C++ most used for open source development

Because C/C++ has a WOCA philosophy
    W: Write
    O: One
    C: Compile
    A: Anywhere

that is if the C/C++ programs are designed to be used on all OS. If you make a python script you have to pray that the end user has the correct version of the interpreter installed on their computer. C/C++ is widely used also because it has been a standard. If you are an aspiring programmer and you hear that the people who made linux used C. Your going to try to also use that language. It is also a great low-level programming language. People gain full control using it, in every aspect. Sometimes its overwhelming and therefore most people who start out write python and wonder why others don't use it over their monolithic languages.

I love python and C. I usually use Python instead of writing PSUEDO code because its so ez and efficient. But for a release I would definitely want to use C/C++ because people likes them some binaries.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast