Thread: Best linux programming notebook?

Beans

Best linux programming notebook?

I'm looking for an ideal laptop for programming on linux. I currently have an old Thinkpad T400 (poor display, but awesome keyboard) and an Alienware M17x-R2 (good performance, incredible screen RGBLED 1920x1200, but gets really hot on linux even though fans are constantly running, you can feel the heat on the keyboard and its uncomfortable - probably related to AMD graphics). I am looking for a laptop with a good linux support, good battery life, and a very high-resolution display (1920x1080?). I also want the size to be fairly compact from 13" to 15" (fairly light too). I want this laptop to replace both notebooks, although I'm not expecting it to outperform the 17" monster alienware, but I am expecting good performance. It doesn't really need to game, but it would be nice if it a little GPU power behind it for mobile graphics development. I will leave hardcore gaming up to a custom desktop with my leftover money. Does such a notebook exist? I would like to keep the price around $1000, but $1500 max.

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Best linux programming notebook?

Bump. It would be good to hear if anyone has any suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

15" Thinkpad T61p, has a 1920x1200 non-glossy display, a 2.5 Ghz dual core CPU with 6 MB L2 cache and a powerfull nVidia graphics card with 512 MB GDDR3 RAM (good if you want to do OpenGL / shader programming, too). The system works like a breeze with Linux, really every component is supported, even the inbuilt card-reader, harddrive protection using shock sensors, etc.

Thinkpad keyboards are especially notable for programmers, as they can be considered as being simple the best laptop keyboard you can get today. In combination with the very convenient TrackPoint (you don't have to take a hand off the keyboard to move the mouse cursor) and formerly mentioned display you get a very ergonomic working machine for a programmer. While the machine has very powerful components, it is still running rather cool and the fan runs at a non-distracting noise level.

Beans
    Hidden!

:ks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i recently got this notebook for 330, it is very linux friendly, if you want something high-end i suggest system76, garmented linux compatibility, ubuntu is preinstalled
    see my review name=EvilKitty
    i am really impressed with the temps
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post