Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hotmail, Gmail or something else

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Hotmail, Gmail or something else

Quote Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
    I have been using two "Personal" Lavabit accounts for some time now and don't have any complaints. If you care about webmail, their interface is very minimal/simple. (This could be good or bad.) I only access it with Thunderbird, so that doesn't matter to me anyhow.
    This is my experience with Lavabit as well. The webmail interface is ... minimal. Thunderbird 'knows' Lavabit's settings, just enter user name and password and you're in business. I've had no availability issues in the year or so I've been using it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For my main, day-to-day stuff, I use Gmail. Lotsa storage, and handy little widgets and thingamies.

I also have an email account that came with my free (actually 5 euros) shell account on a BSD-running server somewhere or other. I don't use it much, even though it has a handy webmail interface - too little storage. IMHO Gmail blows everything else out of the water. Unless you want to pay for an account somewhere... and Gmail is just as good as some/most/all paid services I know of.

As for privacy issues - all email has problems there. I once read somewhere that you shouldn't write an email containing anything you wouldn't feel comfortable writing on a postcard. Maybe things aren't quite that bad; but if you really are concerned about privacy, use GPG or some other encryption utility.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog photoblog

Beans

I wish there was an Ubuntu webmail

My main webmail account isn't with any of the major providers - the domain is my friend's website.

I did like Gmail, but I try to avoid Google web services because I keep forgetting to log myself out. For some reason, I just feel suddenly exposed when I'm Googling away quite happily, and then notice "You are logged in as..." in the top right hand corner of the screen.

For a similar reason, I don't like widespread Facebook integration (e.g., I'm reading an article and it tells me how many of my friends liked it, or invites me to comment as myself).

I don't even like it when I've left myself logged into Wordpress, and visit a site that turns out to be Wordpress-powered and knows who I am!

Paranoid, I know...

Beans

It is so create to see so many responses. I have to say I have tried several different solutions meanwhile. I have tried:
    - Gmail
    - Hotmail (Outlook.com)
    - Lavabit
    - Zoho with my own domain.

My favorites at the moment are Outlook.com and Zoho. I like outlook.com mainly because new web interface is really really easy to use, there are folders and labels (instead Gmails-s labels), I can creat aliases as much as I want and as I am old hotmail account owner I have 25 GB skydrive also. Unfortunately my only concerns are that microsoft products won't integrate with linux and they never will and they donät have IMAP access...

About Zoho - they have actually very good offer. You can have your own domain hosted on their server and you can create i think 3 different mail adresses with 5 GB storage limit. They also have IMAP and POP access. And... IT is all free. Can it really be? Is anyone else using this? I am a littlebit worryed if zoho is reliable and might it be company that one day just closes free servicese?

I used a way back zenbe.com mail adress and one day they just decided to close the service... it was a bitty news.

What do you think - outlook.com or zoho with my own domain?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The 25 GB of SkyDrive space (and the cheapest rates to increase that, $0.50/GB/Yr) has been addictive. I wish I could integrate Linux with that, or an official Google Drive since it is the 2nd cheapest location ($0.60/GB/Yr).
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i use gmail but i got and something else

Beans

I have a feeling that I have found my solution. It is Zoho mail with my own domain. It seams reasonable, web interface is also very good and it has IMAP access.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I started with AOL on dial up in the 90s. Added a hotmail account later. Used an account from my isp for a few years then switched from phone to cable, lost the account and had trouble with forums and such that had my defunct address for the forgot my password feature.

With the talk of MS switching hotmail to Outlook.com I decided to type outlook.com in my url window. I was told that I was now converted over. No choice, it was done.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234