Thread: How to properly configure KDE

Beans

Question Help with KDE Desktop layouts and system tray

So I tried Kubuntu for a little while and then decided to install openSuSE. After messing with openSuSE for awhile, I have determined that I prefer Kubuntu because of the huge amount of community support and the software manager (apt-get vs zypper). Anyways, since I have started using openSuSE, I have noticed a couple differences in the way KDE behaves. Before I get rid of openSuSE, I would just like to make sure I can reproduce this behavior in Kubuntu.

1. Grid Desktop and Grouping Desktop
    In the desktop settings on Kubuntu 12.04 there are several layouts to choose from. They are: Newspaper Layout, Folder View, Desktop, and Search and Launch. In openSuSE I additionally have the option to select Grid Desktop and Grouping Desktop. I really like Grid Desktop and would like to know how to enable that in Kubuntu.

2. System Tray
    I have also noticed that the system tray widget on the panel behaves slightly differently. For example, in Kubuntu, when I have Deluge running and it is minimized to the system tray, I have to right-click and select "Show Deluge"(and even then it shows up minimized). I must also follow the same procedure for other programs which are minimized to the system tray. In openSuSE I only need to left click once on the icon and it maximizes the program.
    Last edited by Kalantir; August 9th, 2012 at 09:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Help with KDE Desktop layouts and system tray

Quote Originally Posted by Kalantir View Post
    1. Grid Desktop and Grouping Desktop
    In the desktop settings on Kubuntu 12.04 there are several layouts to choose from. They are: Newspaper Layout, Folder View, Desktop, and Search and Launch. In openSuSE I additionally have the option to select Grid Desktop and Grouping Desktop. I really like Grid Desktop and would like to know how to enable that in Kubuntu.
    I found this:
    http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Group...p#Grid_Desktop
    I hope it helps

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Help with KDE Desktop layouts and system tray

Quote Originally Posted by Kalantir View Post
    2. System Tray
    I have also noticed that the system tray widget on the panel behaves slightly differently. For example, in Kubuntu, when I have Deluge running and it is minimized to the system tray, I have to right-click and select "Show Deluge"(and even then it shows up minimized). I must also follow the same procedure for other programs which are minimized to the system tray. In openSuSE I only need to left click once on the icon and it maximizes the program.
    I cannot speak to Deluge, but when I single-left-click on the Software Update system tray icon, or the Message Indicator Icon (where Ubuntu One QT goes in Kubuntu), it seems to pop up just like I would expect. Just don't get me started on the Spell Checking icon.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1019319