Thread: Error: ELF header smaller than expected

Beans

Angry Error: ELF header smaller than expected

Hi guys,

I find myself in a somewhat similar situation and my brain has run out of ideas...

I got hold of an old Eee pc. I don t remember which Windows was on it but I have tried to install Ubuntu 12.04 with a live usb as a dual-os. Everything went ok and both os were working pretty well. (quick question: is it normal that if I remove the usb driver (live usb), then the computer does not show a grub screen and boot straight into windows??)

Anyway, here is my real problem, I am not certain what I have done but everything was alright, I think I was trying to find a solution to completely delete windows or something that would help me to work on Ubuntu without the USB but keeping both os….and paffff I can’t use the computer anymore!!! Now, as soon as I turn it on, I get a black screen with the following:

Error: ELF header smaller than expected
    grub rescue>

I have tried many things from the internet but impossible to solve it, I can’t even reinstall Ubuntu, impossible to get another screen whether I use the USB or not. The computer does not reach the BIOS so I can t set him to boot on the USB. I can t login as root, since it does not recognize the command su or sudo. I know there has been many posts on this stuff but still could not find anything that suits my issue. I would be more than greatful if anyone could help me out or even redirect me somewhere that might be helpfully HELPFUL!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Error: ELF header smaller than expected

Moved to its own thread and given suitable title.

@alioz, please use the default font and size, except for highlighting or emphasis purposes.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 17.10 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

hey sure, sorry for that. Thanks for your help!

Also I am not a complete noob but defo not an expert...

Cheers

Beans

can anyone help pls??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I just might reinstall grub2. Something is missing. If Boot-Repair does not fix it, then post link to Boot-Info report.

Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration an diagnose advanced problems.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.