Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Debian Wheezy May Ship With XFCE As The Default Desktop Environment

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Debian Wheezy May Ship With XFCE As The Default Desktop Environment

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Reading the tea leaves, but I strongly suspect that Red Hat is having serious qualms about switching to Gnome Shell. And no, I don't care what they say publicly. The availability of MATE in Fedora tells me that somebody at Red Hat is quietly considering MATE as their default desktop - though probably not Unity. I have a hard time imagining a business adopting G3S (or Windows 8 for that matter). Time will tell...
    That's exactly my whole argument. No way Unity makes it to Red Hat. I'd bet my house on that. I tried using it in Fedora and it was a pain in the butt to install and it wasn't stable either.

The question remians though, why would Debian switch to Xfce deafult? I would think similar reasons.
    True freedom requires sacrifice and pain. Most human beings only think they want freedom. In truth they yearn for the bondage of social order, rigid laws, materialism, the only freedom man really wants, is the freedom to become comfortable.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtime_Scrub View Post
    The question remians though, why would Debian switch to Xfce deafult? I would think similar reasons.
    Well, the article states:

"The move comes mainly to make the distro lightweight and also reduce the size of the installation image."

I suspect the choice of XFCE also reflects the desire to appeal to the broadest base. G3S ain't it. KDE is way too convoluted (yet weirdly less customizable than XFCE) to be anything like a general, simple and easy to use DE. LXDE is a niche DE for older computers that can be difficult to customize and, in that respect, is much less friendly than XFCE. MATE may or may not survive the next year. I think everyone is waiting for MATE to establish itself as a DE in its own right, not just zombie Gnome. And then there's "Jeff Hoagland's" poor ol' Enlightenment, who everyone forgets to mention (and Jeff has to run around saying "Hey! Me too! Hey!?!" I think Enlightenment is *still* in Beta? I should give Bodhi another try. Last time I tried it, everything felt kind of cheap - for lack of a better word.
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; August 9th, 2012 at 02:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, the article states:

"The move comes mainly to make the distro lightweight and also reduce the size of the installation image."

I suspect the choice of XFCE also reflects the desire to appeal to the broadest base. G3S ain't it. KDE is way too convoluted (yet weirdly less customizable than XFCE) to be anything like a general, simple and easy to use DE. LXDE is a niche DE for older computers that can be difficult to customize and, in that respect, is much less friendly than XFCE. MATE may or may not survive the next year. I think everyone is waiting for MATE to establish itself as a DE in its own right, not just Zombie Gnome. And then there's "Jeff Hoagland's" poor ol' Enlightenment, who everyone forgets to mention (and Jeff has to run around saying "Hey! Me too!" I think Enlightenment is *still* in Beta? I should give Bodhi another try. Last time I tried it, everything felt kind of cheap - for lack of a better word.
    theres awesome and jwm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    theres awesome and jwm
    And Cinnamon. I forgot Cinnamon. But, at this point, Cinnamon just feels like a less flexible and customizable version of XFCE that's built on Gnome. To me, the only reason to use Cinnamon is if you just *have* to have the Gnome base.

XFCE, right now, seems to have really hit the sweet spot. It's filling the niche that G2 used to occupy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And Cinnamon. I forgot Cinnamon. But, at this point, Cinnamon just feels like a less flexible and customizable version of XFCE that's built on Gnome. To me, the only reason to use Cinnamon is if you just *have* to have the Gnome base.

XFCE, right now, seems to have really hit the sweet spot. It's filling the niche that G2 used to occupy.
    Agreed it's what I have recommend if someone really does hate Unity tbh.... frankly I think Unity rocks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Reading the tea leaves, but I strongly suspect that Red Hat is having serious qualms about switching to Gnome Shell. And no, I don't care what they say publicly. The availability of MATE in Fedora tells me that somebody at Red Hat is quietly considering MATE as their default desktop - though probably not Unity. I have a hard time imagining a business adopting G3S (or Windows 8 for that matter). Time will tell...
    You do know that RedHat employs Gnome's core developers, and according to jono's blog post RedHat is pointing the way, where Gnome development is concerned.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This is completely understandable, and would be pretty awesome. I have been using Xfce as my main DE for a few years, and love it. It is lightweight, but still looks really nice, and has all the features you need from a full DE.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    You do know that RedHat employs Gnome's core developers, and according to jono's blog post RedHat is pointing the way, where Gnome development is concerned.
    But then in the comment section to that post you get this:

Red Hat seems to view their contributions to Gnome as volunteering weekends at the soup kitchen: good to do, profitless, and peripheral to the rest of their livelihood. In other words, Canonical survived the 11.04 transition because they could pay their way through the perilous time when the community recoiled. Gnome could not. So Gnome doesn’t have the developer, testing, or design muscle to carry out their vision.
    In any case, whether Red Hat guided (or was behind) the development of G3S, I still suspect they may be having serious qualms. They have too much to lose by foisting a failed DE, by any standard, on valuable business customers. They're not Microsoft.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just installed the voyager live respin of xubuntu today. I think it shows what can be done with xfce. Also of note is the implementation of xfce with applets from Mate that Linux Mint is using this time around.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drawkcab View Post
    Xfce will seem bloated if you're running xubuntu. Xfce on Debian flies. I'm not in a position to speculate on what accounts for the difference but it is certainly noticeable.
    +1 it's a night and day difference.

After using Crunchbang XFCE for a while I decided to try a Xubuntu base/cli install from the alternate iso image with vanilla xfce 4.10 and there is a BIG difference compare to normal Xubuntu. I'll be sticking with this setup in future as well.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast