Thread: script is starting x11vnc on boot

Beans

script is starting x11vnc on boot

Hi guys, new to Linux and the way services start on startup so any help here will be appreciated.

I'm trying to start up x11vnc at boot time, I have read a lot of posts that say they work but they require you to be logged in which is not what I'm after, I would like to be able to connect to my server before anyone has logged in.

I have downloaded and configure xrdp to run using vnc (eg console)
    I then download x11vnc by
    sudo apt-get install x11vnc
    I then tested the connect by running
    /usr/bin/x11vnc -forever -rfbport 5900
    from the console and connecting from another computer.

I then create a init.d script and place it in /etc/init.d

#!/bin/sh
    # Starts and stops x11vnc
    #

case "$1" in
    start)

start-stop-daemon --start --exec ./usr/bin/x11vnc -- -forever -rfbport 5900

;;

stop)

start-stop-daemon --stop --exec ./usr/bin/x11vnc

;;

restart)
    $0 stop
    $0 start
    ;;

status)
    if pidof -o %PPID x11vnc > /dev/null; then
    echo "Running"
    exit 0
    else
    echo "Not running"
    exit 1
    fi
    ;;

*)
    echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
    exit 1
    esac
    ran the commands
    chmod +x /etc/init.d/x11vnc
    updated-rc.d x11vnc defaults
    if I run this init.d script form the terminal it all works fine but it wont start on boot.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: script is starting x11vnc on boot

Hi,
    after much stuffing around and a fair bit of cussing I got x11vnc working at the login screen... again. Note to dev's: I wish you'd stop breaking it for us!

Install vnc
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install x11vnc
    Set vnc password (saved in ~/.vnc/passwd)
    Code:
    x11vnc -storepasswd
    Copy and paste password file to /etc/ directory:
    Code:
    sudo cp ~/.vnc/passwd /etc/x11vnc.pass
    Create and edit the conf file /etc/init/x11vnc.conf
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/init/x11vnc.conf
    Paste in:
    Code:
    start on login-session-start
    script
    x11vnc -xkb -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -display :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -forever -bg -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -rfbport 5900 -localhost
    end script
    Note that I have -localhost set which enables me to connect via ssh. You should modify the script as appropriate for your connection settings.

Hope this helps.
    The worlds misfortunes can be explained, quite simply, by acknowledging that the vast majority of its peoples suffer the debilitating effects of having Faecal Encephalopathy.

Beans

Thanks MrGrey1, that worked really well.

Trying to understand more
    what is the different between init and init.d and why didn't my approach work?
    Ta

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnw230873 View Post
    I'm trying to start up x11vnc at boot time, I have read a lot of posts that say they work but they require you to be logged in which is not what I'm after, I would like to be able to connect to my server before anyone has logged in.
    You can still start x11vnc before you have logged in on the target machine. Just use the -auth option to find the lightdm authority file. This is the best way to go, just ssh in to your machine and start x11vnc manually as per the x11vnc man page.

PS: Here's a post describing what I mean: http://babilonline.blogspot.com.au/2...-at-login.html.

BTW, I have found that the 3D desktops Unity and Gnome Shell work very poorly over VNC. You are best to log in with Unity 2D or Gnome Classic.

Beans

Perhaps there is a race condition for your script in that the X server has not started up yet, and when your x11vnc startup scripts runs, x11vnc cannot find the X server to connect to and so it exits.

MrGrey1 has a "start on login-session-start" which I would guess delays running the script until the X server is running.

As a quick and dirty workaround, x11vnc has an option, e.g. "-sleepin 30" that will cause x11vnc to sleep for 30 seconds before trying to connect to the X server.