Thread: Acer M5-481TG clickpad/trackpad not working on Ubuntu 11.10/12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: Acer M5-481TG clickpad/trackpad not working on Ubuntu 11.10/12.04

So odd... adding
    Code:
    acpi_brightness=vendor
    did not work for me. The keys were working and you could see the brightness indicator go up and down, but the actual screen brightness did not change.

I changed it to:
    Code:
    acpi_backlight=vendor
    and that worked (found here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/12846...-an-acer-4741g). I don't know if this is a difference between Ubuntu versions or something else odd. I'm running 12.04, 64bit.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Acer M5-481TG clickpad/trackpad not working on Ubuntu 11.10/12.04

I just bought the same laptop. I updated my machine and now everything is working perfectly. I do have a question regarding how you installed Ubuntu.
    This is the first machine I buy with a SSD and HDD drives, I didn't want to delete windows completely for warranty just in case. So I partitioned the hard drive to keep windows but with very little space. I'm just not sure what the SSD drive has in it, since it came partitioned, and I'm not sure what I should install there. It's not a really big drive, but enough for Ubuntu to be installed and /home to be in the HDD. Is this the best configuration?
    How can I use the SSD for my advantage for fast boot, or/and fast hibernation/sleep?
    Is there a particular configuration I should do to make my laptop extremely fast?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jlapier View Post
    One more thing to add, as far as the touchpad spottiness goes: what I have discovered is that I have to turn on the touchpad (fn-f7) BEFORE I log in; in other words, when it boots to the password prompt, that's when I have to hit it. If I log in and then try to hit it, the key has no effect.

Everything else - nvidia drivers, right-click (two-finger double tap mac style), two-finger scrolling - working great!
    Has anybody found a solution for this? This is still unacceptable behaivor. Quatal was released today, I tried the live cd and the mouse didn't work, mainly because there isn't a log in window.
    In the case I have automatic log in (and this is always the case for me) my laptop's touchpad never works!
    Is there a way to fix this? Anybody?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jlapier View Post
    So odd... adding
    Code:
    acpi_brightness=vendor
    did not work for me. The keys were working and you could see the brightness indicator go up and down, but the actual screen brightness did not change.

I changed it to:
    Code:
    acpi_backlight=vendor
    and that worked (found here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/12846...-an-acer-4741g). I don't know if this is a difference between Ubuntu versions or something else odd. I'm running 12.04, 64bit.
    This is correct, I looked back at my settings and indeed had
    Code:
    acpi_backlight=vendor
    I wrote my last post in a bit of a hurry, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by fcastillo View Post
    Has anybody found a solution for this? This is still unacceptable behaivor. Quatal was released today, I tried the live cd and the mouse didn't work, mainly because there isn't a log in window.
    In the case I have automatic log in (and this is always the case for me) my laptop's touchpad never works!
    Is there a way to fix this? Anybody?
    File a bug for us I'm not sure what's at fault, but it might be the kernel.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fcastillo View Post
    I just bought the same laptop. I updated my machine and now everything is working perfectly. I do have a question regarding how you installed Ubuntu.
    This is the first machine I buy with a SSD and HDD drives, I didn't want to delete windows completely for warranty just in case. So I partitioned the hard drive to keep windows but with very little space. I'm just not sure what the SSD drive has in it, since it came partitioned, and I'm not sure what I should install there. It's not a really big drive, but enough for Ubuntu to be installed and /home to be in the HDD. Is this the best configuration?
    How can I use the SSD for my advantage for fast boot, or/and fast hibernation/sleep?
    Is there a particular configuration I should do to make my laptop extremely fast?
    For ubuntu, unless there are any Intel Rapid Start drivers (I do not believe so) the fast resume from sleep done from the MSATA SSD would not be possible. The first partition on the SSD is the hibernation partition, that stores the 'deep sleep' information in windows when Rapid Start is enabled. The second partition on the SSD by default is used by disk caching software in *******, and same thing applies... do not think there are equivalent Linux drivers to accomplish the same thing, as the company's software looks pretty closed source.

I frankly replaced both hard drives... my main drive is a Samsung 930, my secondary a (much bigger) MSATA SSD -- 256 GB. I recreated the hibernation partition on it for *******, and installed Ubuntu on part of the rest, leaving the remaining space accessible between Windows/Linux as a data partition.

Beans

Just wanted to let you guys know that I use Linux Mint, and for me to get the mouse to work (I have the same laptop) I just pressed "ctrl+fn+f7." I saw that solution somewhere awhile ago, and it happened to work for me.

Beans

So, I noticed some inconsistency with the touchpad out of the box with ubuntu 12.10, however, once I updated the kernel to 3.6.3 I had no problems (just remember to do CTRL+Fn+F7 in order to turn on the touchpad, Fn+F7 won't do it on its own).

I'm using an Aspire TimelineU 481 with the elantech touchpad, its working just fine now - the only thing i have to do is the CTRL+Fn+F7 after rebooting in order to get the touchpad back.

--- I WAS GOING TO GIVE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO UPDATE THE KERNEL, BUT UBUNTU FORUMS DOESN'T RECOMMEND THAT PEOPLE USE SCRIPTS FROM UNTRUSTED SITES ---

So follow these instructions at your own risk (they worked for me):
    http://hashprompt.blogspot.com/2012/...63-stable.html

Also, I installed linux mint on my laptop, and it was a mess. I like the gnome 3 interface (I know, I might be the only one) but it was nearly impossible to get it installed with mint 13, which was disappointing (and apparently is a known issue - there is a conflict between gdm and mdm, which 'mate' uses.)
    Last edited by sean.leber; November 5th, 2012 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Additional information

Beans

just got this laptop and wanted to say the acpi_backlight=vendor for backlight adjustment and cntrl-fn-F7 for touchpad worked wonderfully! thank you!!

Also, if you don't know how to add kernel parms, I found this link:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters

thanks to you guys my new laptop is running perfectly now!!

Beans

I got myself a M5-481TG 2 days ago because I was a little bit pissed off of AMDs support for switchable graphics on laptops,
    somehow I trust a community driven hack like Bumblebee more than AMD (and OMG that thing works nicely!!).
    The trackpad being disabled after every reboot was a bit annoying, so I dug around the interwebs and found out that the acer_wmi kernel module is known to disable touchpads on init.
    So, the quick fix for this was:
    Code:
    echo "blacklist acer_wmi" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/acer-wmi.conf
    Luckily, on the M5-481TG the function keys for brightness, volume etc are managed by the hardware.
    Disabling the touchpad also still works, but with acer_wmi disabled there's no notification shown when toggling it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beidl View Post
    The trackpad being disabled after every reboot was a bit annoying, so I dug around the interwebs and found out that the acer_wmi kernel module is known to disable touchpads on init.
    So, the quick fix for this was:
    Code:
    echo "blacklist acer_wmi" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/acer-wmi.conf
    THIS SOLUTION SHOULD BE STICKY ON A BETTER PLACE OF THE FORUM!

thx 'homie' (thus between quotation marks) 4the solution

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12