Thread: LAN Card on HP G60 Laptop not working Ubuntu Server 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

LAN Card on HP G60 Laptop not working Ubuntu Server 12.10

Haiee, so on my one laptop (HP G60), the wifi is not working (or more specifically, not detected). I ran lshw -C network and it only showed up my eth0 port, and it was disabled. I believe I have the LAN card hooked up correctly, but even when I tried many ways of hooking it up, none of them worked. I have been experimenting quite a bit, but haven't found anything. I hope someone can help me.
    Last edited by BmanTheBoss; June 20th, 2013 at 05:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: LAN Card on HP G60 Laptop not working Ubuntu Server 12.10

Now, I have the computer directly hooked up to my router, but it can't install any packages. I ran ifconfig, and no ipv4 or anything comes up.

Beans

What are the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces file?

Did you get a valid network connection during the installation process? Maybe the ethernet interface is disabled in BIOS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

interfaces says:

"This file describes the network interfaces available on your system and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
    The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback"

I did not get a valid connection during installation because of something involving dhcp. Also, every time I try to access the BIOS, it takes me straight to the GRUB menu.

Beans

Well on the Server version, you won't get a wired LAN connection unless you have a definition for it (in addition to the lo definition) in the /etc/network/interfaces file - *IF* you are connecting to a router that acts as a DHCP server for your LAN, then that might be as simple as

Code:
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    or
    Code:
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1
    (replace 192.168.1.1 by your router's IP address if you router is acting as a forwarding nameserver, or you can put a public DNS server (or serveral) in there e.g. Google's 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 or the equivalent from OpenDNS) - see http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfig...rface_manually for more general info including static IP setup

Hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just found out that I didn't even have the LAN card plugged into the motherboard It works now.