Thread: Media Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Media Server

I would love to use a single server to store and stream out music to my stereo, video (including TV and movies) to my TV. However, there doesn't seem to be a "best" way to do this.

There's a lot of discussion on Mythbuntu, I've seen stuff about Plex server, people talk about Mediatomb - but would I be better off just buying something?

I would prefer to stay within the open source universe, happy to pay for an appliance, but just need some way to store my media and enjoy it on my different equipment.

Thanks!
    Impari Systems, Inc
    http://www.imparisystems.com

Beans
    Distro

Re: Media Server

ps3mediaserver is the most painless way to do this, it has a simple & easy to use GUI. Unfortunately you have to install it from a PPA.

Beans
    Distro

That's great info for the server side, but what do I need at the TV and the stereo to get them to accept streaming stuff from the server?

So - pretty new at all this digital media stuff that's not on a PC.
    Impari Systems, Inc
    http://www.imparisystems.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Most smart TV's I would imagine would have a DLNA client built in (alternatively, I use my Xbox360 to stream stuff)

I've started using Plex media server to stream to my iOS devices (caveat: while the server is free, the client apps cost $5)