Thread: home server not accessible from internet

Beans

home server not accessible from internet

I'm having trouble accessing my home server from the internet and I'm at my wit's end trying to figure it out - any help is much appreciated!

I'm running ubuntu server 11.10. I've got a few services set up that I'd like to access from the WAN - including apache and subsonic. (Everything works beautifully from within my LAN - no problems.)

Apache is listening on port 13370 because my ISP (optimum online) blocks 80. Subsonic is on 4040 - I can't imagine any problems with that port. My router is forwarding both.

From the WAN, I cannot access http://my-external-ip:13370 in a web browser. Connection times out. However, I can access it via both lynx and wget. Same is true for port 4040.

So... what the hell. I don't even know where continue troubleshooting at this point. I was convinced optimum online was cleverly blocking the traffic until I discovered I could hit the services with lynx and wget. Is it possible for an ISP to block connections from a traditional web browser but leave loop holes open for more obscure things like lynx? I don't know nearly enough about the components involved to even know if that's a sensible question! Please be kind.

Please let me know if there's additional information needed to help solve this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated! TIA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: home server not accessible from internet

This sounds odd. If lynx works over the internet, you'd think that the browser would too. Have you tried more than one browser? Is the browser using a proxy? If it's not a proxy issue, I can't think of anything else.

Beans

Re: home server not accessible from internet

Oh good call! I feel stupid now. I had a friend try and it worked for her. I had been testing with a remote desktop connection to my work computer and they must be using a proxy. Oh silly me. At least now I know there's nothing wrong my side.

Now to figure out how to get around the proxy issue at work!

Thanks for your help!