Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth headset connects, but doesn't work

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!

Bluetooth headset connects, but doesn't work

I've got a bluetooth adapter plugged into my laptop. I can receive/send files to and from cellphones just fine, but whenever I try to use my bluetooth headset it simply connects to the adapter and then that's it.

It doesn't output any sound to the speaker of the headset and it doesn't input any sound via the microphone.

The headset connects and actually inputs/outputs sound if I'm on Windows, but when using Ubuntu 12.04 it won't input/output anything once it connects to the adapater.
    Last edited by UnknownDiety; August 3rd, 2012 at 08:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Bluetooth headset connects, but doesn't work

Run system settings, sound. What does it show for input and output? On the Output tab, what "connector" is shown?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Run system settings, sound. What does it show for input and output? On the Output tab, what "connector" is shown?
    Output Tab:
    Digital Output (S/PDIF) Built-in Audio
    Analog Output Built-in Audio

Input Tab:
    Microphone Built-in Audio
    Internal Microphone Built-in Audio

The bluetooth headset doesn't show up in the output or input tabs for some reason.

Beans

I've got the same problem.

Running Ubuntu 12.04 on a Toshiba portege Z830. The bluetooth connects well to my old motorola HT820 headset - sounds great.

My Nokia BH-905 headset claims to be connected, but in the sound output tab it doesn't appear at all. In the bluetooth settings tab it claims to be a 'Headset', same as the motorla HT820.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

To be able to get the bluetooth headset to show up in the sound settings I had to reinstall ubuntu.

Though even with it showing it doesn't play any sound when I hit the test sound button and my microphone didn't record sound whenever I tried to test it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Output:

Input:

Can't hear anything and the microphone doesn't pick up anything.

Beans
    Hidden!

Bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownDiety View Post
    I've got a bluetooth adapter plugged into my laptop. I can receive/send files to and from cellphones just fine, but whenever I try to use my bluetooth headset it simply connects to the adapter and then that's it.

It doesn't output any sound to the speaker of the headset and it doesn't input any sound via the microphone.

The headset connects and actually inputs/outputs sound if I'm on Windows, but when using Ubuntu 12.04 it won't input/output anything once it connects to the adapater.
    I also have a thread about this, and a report on launchpad for this bug.

This needs to be addressed in bluez (the bluetooth driver stack), but the bugtracker for bluez is MIA and last I tried talking to the bluez team in IRC, I was told it's a pulseaudio problem (it's not) and to take it to that development team.

When the headset connects, it may have several bluetooth profiles (distinguished from audio profiles) available, like "input" (for the buttons), "headset" (for telephony), and "audio sink" (for high-fidelity audio devices). Theoretically, bluez should connect to both the "headset" and "audio sink" profiles when a paired headset connects.

This is not happening. The device is recognized and connected, but no bluetooth profile is ever negotiated. If you install blueman, it provides an indicator applet that will allow you to take this step manually; gnome-bluetooth is useless.

You will also need to make some changes to pulseaudio's configuration (see my thread for details) to enable automatically switching the audio over to the headset and back. This is the part that gets the first issue blamed on pulseaudio but it isn't the same issue at all.
    Once configured properly, pulseaudio can swtich the audio stream to the bluetooth headset and back to the speakers very well and with no hands-on interaction. Unfortunately, since bluez never provides a bluetooth profile, and thus never creates an audio device interface, pulseaudio is never informed that a headset has been connected.

blueman has options to select the bluetooth profile manually, which works around the problem, but requires that you be at your computer and use the mouse or keyboard--there is no way to switch audio to and from a bluetooth headset hands-free in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

After doing all those changes in that rundown post I still don't get any sound in my bluetooth headset.

Whenever I click the Blueman Icon > Devices > Right Click Headset and hit Connect to Input Service it tells me" Connection Failed: Operation is not supported "

The Right Click and Connect to Headset service connected and I can see the headset in the Output/Input tabs of the sound settings, but again there's no output through the headsets speaker or input from the microphone.

The only audio profiles for my headset (or ones that show up) are off & Telephony Duplex (HSP/HFP)
    I've got it set to Telephony Duplex.

I've tried without the Headset Emulation enabled in the Local Services of blueman and I've tried with it enabled. (Rebooting after changing the setting)

I don't know what you mean by bluetooth profiles. Like it may show up as multiple devices in blueman's device list? If that's what you mean it doesn't. It only shows up as a single device.
    Last edited by UnknownDiety; November 5th, 2012 at 03:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownDiety View Post
    After doing all those changes in that rundown post I still don't get any sound in my bluetooth headset.
    Ahh... please read carefully! You probably don't need to make all of those changes. Particularly, I have redacted one after replying to your thread.
    I don't know what you mean by bluetooth profiles. Like it may show up as multiple devices in blueman's device list? If that's what you mean it doesn't. It only shows up as a single device.
    It should appear as a single device, but may have several profiles ("Input Service", "Headset Service", "Audio Sink", etc...) which determine how the computer will interact with the device (as a remote control, a telephone headset, a set of headphones, etc). These are the right-click selections you found in blueman.
    Whenever I click the Blueman Icon > Devices > Right Click Headset and hit Connect to Input Service it tells me" Connection Failed: Operation is not supported "
    "Input Service" is the bluetooth profile for remote control functions (buttons, not sound) and probably isn't what you want. I don't know if it even works.
    The Right Click and Connect to Headset service connected and I can see the headset in the Output/Input tabs of the sound settings, but again there's no output through the headsets speaker or input from the microphone.
    "Headset Service" is the profile for telephony function (low-fidelity audio, microphone input). I don't have any software to test this service with, but it probably won't be used for audio output automatically because it's not intended for general-purpose audio. If you want to use telephony software, you may need to configure the settings in that software to use the headset's speaker and microphone, rather than the default output and input. It's also possible to configure pulseaudio to use the microphone and speaker on the headset as the default input and output, but that's probably not what you want in the long run.

"Audio Sink" provides a general-purpose audio device (high-fidelity, stereo if available, no microphone input). Once activated, pulseaudio will switch to this device automatically when configured to do so (cut off the main speakers and activate the headset speaker(s)). If you want to use your headphones to listen to music, videos, or whatever, you need this profile.

Unfortunately, something is wrong with the bluetooth driver in Ubuntu (bluez). The driver should automatically provide both "Headset Service" and "Audio Sink" as audio devices for the sound subsystem (pulseaudio) to configure, but it does not. You will have to select one of the two, manually, in blueman.

My description of this in the other thread is perhaps overly technical. There's another, distinct, problem with pulseaudio: the default configuration does not include the settings to switch from the main speakers to your headset when you connect it. For this, you need to edit the settings file /etc/pulse/system.pa and add, at the end of the file:
    Code:
    ### Automatically redirect to newly available sinks
    load-module module-switch-on-connect
    Keep in mind, even with pulseaudio configured and working correctly, Ubuntu will not automagically redirect audio to your headset because bluez is broken. When you connect the headset, you must click one of the audio profiles in blueman, and then pulseaudio will automatically switch over the sound.
    The only audio profiles for my headset (or ones that show up) are off & Telephony Duplex (HSP/HFP)
    I've got it set to Telephony Duplex.
    Probably because bluez doesn't provide the other devices for pulseaudio to profile, but make sure to check your headset's manual/box for what it should be supporting.
    I've tried without the Headset Emulation enabled in the Local Services of blueman and I've tried with it enabled. (Rebooting after changing the setting)
    I don't think that is what you need...

So it goes like this:
    0a. Pair your headset
    0b. Configure pulseaudio to use module-switch-on-connect

1. Activate the headset.
    2. Once connected, right-click to choose a profile in blueman.*
    3a. For "Headset Service" you need to setup your telephony programs to use the headset's speaker and mic.
    3b. For "Audio Sink" you need to do nothing, audio will be redirected to your headphones.
    4. Deactivate the headset.
    5. Audio should revert to the main speakers and microphone.

* This (2.) would not be necessary if bluez was working properly.
    Last edited by quequotion; November 5th, 2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: fix broken code block, and quote block

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast