Thread: Want to use console directly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Want to use console directly

Hi.
    Please consider the following:

I use Unity,KDE plasma, Gnome 3.x and xfce for different user accounts, OS is Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS. From the login screen, I can choose the environment I want to use for every user. Now, my question is: Can I enter into a console (like konsole or other terminal) directly from the lightdm login screen manager? For example, username "subha-gnome" passsword: "[mypassword]" and environment console (we can do this partially on newer Windows versions by pressing F8 while booting or editing the MBR, but can't choose by default).

I hope I'm clear. Please enlighten me if I can do it and if yes, how.
    Thanks in advance.

Subhadeep
    Last edited by leosubhadeep; August 2nd, 2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Needed to add some more specs

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Want to use console directly

From the login screen if you press Ctrl+Alt+F1 (all the way through F6), you can get a TTY console. If you want to return to the default TTY running X, you can switch to F7. Is that what you're looking for?

Beans

Re: Want to use console directly

Quote Originally Posted by drmrgd View Post
    From the login screen if you press Ctrl+Alt+F1 (all the way through F6), you can get a TTY console. If you want to return to the default TTY running X, you can switch to F7. Is that what you're looking for?
    To take it a step further you could prevent X and lightdm from ever starting so when booting it simply drops the user to a login prompt.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/13149...nity-launching

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: Want to use console directly

Quote Originally Posted by drmrgd View Post
    Thanks a ton. It is EXACTLY what I was looking for. =D>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: Want to use console directly

Quote Originally Posted by lukeiamyourfather View Post
    To take it a step further you could prevent X and lightdm from ever starting so when booting it simply drops the user to a login prompt.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/13149...nity-launching
    Thanks to you, too. The post on the link you provided worked. Now I am able to enter even root account, because some shell commands need root access.

I must say this forum is undoubtedly full of Linux (read Ubuntu) Maestros.

Subhadeep