Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home/Root Deleted!?

Beans

Exclamation Home/Root Deleted!?

I was trying to remove the desktop icon from my sidebar, and switched to tree mode. Deleted it not knowing that tree mode deletes everything and moves everything around. I accidently copied home folder to my file system directory and deleted it out right away....only to learn that I had deleted my home folder, everything in it, ability to view trash, and ability to open file system folders etc. Is there any way to get the files back. I don't care that I'll have to reinstall Ubuntu to fix the rest of it but i really, REALLY, need the files that were in the home folder back. I cant access the Root .trash folder as I have revoke my permission to enter it by deleting my home folder. From what I've read the minute I logout of my computer I wont be able to log back in so im keeping it on. I looked at the Disk Usage Analyzer and it shows me as sstill having 50gigs used space so I dont think it fully deleted my data...how on earth do I get it back . Its years and years worth of photos and videos that I desperately need.

I need a real response that won't take days to get support like all my other help requests. This is urgent.
    Last edited by JosephBeck; August 2nd, 2012 at 07:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Home/Root Deleted!? Help 911 URGENT

yeah I think they are still on the .trash folder .. open Terminal (CTRL + ATL + T) and log in as root .. go to .trash

Beans
    Distro

can you still go to this path ~/.local/share/Trash/files/ ?

here are some possible locations..

~/.local/share/Trash/files/
    ~/.Trash
    ~/.Trash-XXXX

XXXX is your username
    Last edited by itagomo; August 2nd, 2012 at 06:10 AM. Reason: ..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by itagomo View Post
    can you still go to this path ~/.local/share/Trash/files/ ?
    No...it doesnt exist anymore I think im **** out of luck but the disk usage says its still on my hard drive and not gone. I know if I logout I wont be able to log back in. If it is still on my Hard Drive and Disk Usage isn't lying to me then I think what I'm about to do will help. Im making the ubuntu installer on my usb and ill go into the LIVE and access trash that way....I really hope everything is there. Some of these files are priceless to me, and to other people. I've had many problems with Ubuntu even if I like it over Windows, but after this I don't see myself using Ubuntu much longer. All I was trying to do was put the Home directory on my launcher (home on launcher doesnt show the home icon so was trying to fix that), identically moved it to file system, tried to delete it and erased everything.

Beans
    Distro

how about finding them?

sudo find / -name <filename> -print

it will look for files with the name <filename> starting from the / directory

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JosephBeck View Post
    All I was trying to do was put the Home directory on my launcher (home on launcher doesnt show the home icon so was trying to fix that), identically moved it to file system, tried to delete it and erased everything.
    your using Unity, right? there's a different method of adding folders to launcher. you need to create a .desktop file or look for some examples in /usr/share/applications/ .. you need to open those files using gedit ..

try to read this page .. talks about a GUI app on adding files/folders to your launcher ..
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-cre...10oneiric.html
    Last edited by itagomo; August 2nd, 2012 at 06:17 AM. Reason: ..

Beans

how about finding them?

sudo find / -name <filename> -print

it will look for files with the name <filename> starting from the / directory
    Can't find home, trash, .trash, anything.... I'm realling hoping the LiveUSB will let me access what I need to access....

Beans
    Distro

Can't find home, trash, .trash, anything.... I'm realling hoping the LiveUSB will let me access what I need to access....
    so there's really no folder with your username or there's no
    Code:
    /home/
    folder?

and I'm not sure if LiveUSB will give you something different from what you're getting now .. just want to clarify, did you delete the /home folder by pressing DEL or right clicking then choosing move to trash, something like that?

Beans

so there's really no folder with your username or there's no
    Code:
    /home/
    folder?

and I'm not sure if LiveUSB will give you something different from what you're getting now .. just want to clarify, did you delete the /home folder by pressing DEL or right clicking then choosing move to trash, something like that?
    Delete. I used the LiveUSB to help fix my girlfriends computer when she had a windows error. For her, she couldnt get windows to run so I used the LiveUSB to access her files and save them to my usb so we could reinstall it without losing her files. If my files are still there i should be able to access them in the same way...I hope. Worth a shot. I really have no Home folder or anything, it was fully deleted and I cant access root to check the root .trash file to recover it. It erased me so stripped me of permission. Atm compiz is also crashed and i cant open a terminal. It messed up everything, so I have to wait till the download is done for the .iso then i can log off and deal with it and mount the iso with my other computer.

Beans
    Distro

Delete. I used the LiveUSB to help fix my girlfriends computer when she had a windows error. For her, she couldnt get windows to run so I used the LiveUSB to access her files and save them to my usb so we could reinstall it without losing her files. If my files are still there i should be able to access them in the same way...I hope. Worth a shot. I really have no Home folder or anything, it was fully deleted and I cant access root to check the root .trash file to recover it. It erased me so stripped me of permission. Atm compiz is also crashed and i cant open a terminal. It messed up everything, so I have to wait till the download is done for the .iso then i can log off and deal with it and mount the iso with my other computer.
    that's nice .. I was just thinking maybe the /home/<yourUsername> folder was moved to the Root's folder (/root/) .. you can still access the console by pressing CTRL + ATL + F1 .. it's called TTY .. i call it fullscreen terminal .. it will ask for you username & password ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast