Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Netgear USB N150 wireless adapter keeps asking for password ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Re: Netgear USB N150 wireless adapter keeps asking for password ubuntu 12.04

jon@jon-desktop:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    netrtwlanu : driver installed
    jon@jon-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep ndis
    jon@jon-desktop:~$

no results showed for dmesg | grep ndis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please try:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -d 0846:9041 netrtwlanu
    dmesg | grep ndis
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    Any improvement?

This problem is getting more tenacious than my ex-wife's lawyer!!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

It's connected! But I lose it when I reboot! Only after repeated the steps you gave me again will it find networks and connect again.

Beans
    Distro

Please try this:
    Code:
    sudo su
    echo ndiswrapper >> /etc/modules
    exit
    Reboot and let us have a good report!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

HAIL TO THE CONQUERING HERO! Chili you are the man!! Wifi is working like a charm now. Tested it several different ways and so far it's working perfectly! I can't thank you enough! So in conclusion, what exactly was the problem? Was it just that I had the wrong driver? Or was it that it just had to be installed with ndiswrapper? Anyhow, thank you so much. I'm sure this thread will be of much help to several others out there with same or similar problems.

THANK YOU!

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your very kind comments.

The native Linux drivers evidently aren't working well right now. We tried and succeeded with the Windows XP driver wrapped with the ndiswrapper driver tool. In a future Ubuntu release, the newer accompanying native driver will work better, but in your case, I suggest you not experiment with what isn't broken; namely, ndiswrapper.

Wow! A lightning fast 55 posts! For the benefit of the other interested persons, please use thread tools at the top to mark Solved.

By the way, you persevered just as well as I did. Great job!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Exclamation Re: Netgear USB N150 wireless adapter keeps asking for password ubuntu 12.04

@chili555; My god, chili, I can't believe what you just made me do to my computer... I am running lubuntu 12.04 off of my daughter's ancient compaq presario. Have been using it for a few years already, mostly to fiddle around with various linux distros. However, was never able to get it to hook up to our home wifi network, even using a plethora of linux flavours and incarnations, so had to remain within a cable's length of the router, which seemed a bit of a chore in this 21st century. I finally gave up on the resident wifi module, and bought the N150, but still no luck. Found this thread a week later, followed as best I could, ended up in the ditch a couple of times, but managed to crawl out and continued down the path. And now the old lump is actually working!! I guess I won't be able to scrap it, after all... Many thanks, this was quite a ride!

Beans
    Distro

And now the old lump is actually working!! I guess I won't be able to scrap it, after all... Many thanks, this was quite a ride!
    Wow! I just received my payday! Thank you for your kind comments. I'm very glad it's working.

Beans

Red face Re: Netgear USB N150 wireless adapter keeps asking for password ubuntu 12.04

To anyone still watching this thread:

Last week, I got a new PC assembled for android build and got this WLAN adapter to connect my system to network. I have an Intel i5 3570 and I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64-bit).

I have the exact same issue, unfortunately, my happiness seeing this solution ended with a kernel panic when I modprobed ndiswrapper after installing a 'WinX64' driver.

I tried drivers from 'WinXP' as well as 'Win7X64' folders from the latest Realtek driver package. It will either fail to load or it will end in a kernel panic.

The attachment 'WinXP.zip' would not work for me since my 'arch' is 'X86_64'. I have tried steps like blacklisting the driver that came with Ubuntu, re-build the latest Linux driver in Ubuntu etc.

From Ubuntu's site I downloaded the following packages required (using another machine connected to internet):
    ndisgtk_0.8.5-1_amd64.deb
    ndiswrapper-common_1.57-1ubuntu1_all.deb
    ndiswrapper-dkms_1.57-1ubuntu1_all.deb
    ndiswrapper-utils-1.9_1.57-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    python-glade2_2.24.0-3_amd64.deb
    dkms_2.2.0.3-1ubuntu3_all.deb
    libglade2-0_2.6.4-1ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb

I got the following from Realtek for (ID 0846:9041 NetGear, Inc. WNA1000M 802.11bgn [Realtek RTL8188CUS]):
    RTL819xCU_AutoInstallPackage.zip
    RTL8192xC_USB_linux_v3.4.4_4749.20121105.zip
    v14114-OmniPeek-V6_CU_DU.zip

Any ideas to make this work?
    Last edited by winwiz; November 20th, 2012 at 08:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by winwiz View Post
    To anyone still watching this thread:

Any ideas to make this work?
    Please try this.

By the way, ndiswrapper always requires XP drivers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast