Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu gives me a BSOD-ish screen on demo?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu gives me a BSOD-ish screen on demo?

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    1. Boot to Windows.
    2. Log in.
    I'm not a retard.
    3. Click on the Start button.
    4. Right click on Computer.
    5. Select Properties.
    6. Go to the Device Manager, which is on the sidebar on the left of the window that just opened.
    7. Go to Video Adapter, Video Cards, or whatever it's called. Figure out the manufacturer and model and post it here. If you can't find it, just post a screenshot of where you are stuck (you can take them by pressing CTRL + PRNT SCR, and paste it in Paint, then save the image and upload it online).
    I get 2 things listed under "Display Adapters", LogMeIn Mirror Driver (I use this software, this is a internal windows program and it did not affect ubuntu on my old computer) and Nvida GeForceGT 520 (It says its PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    That might work, but I have a 64-bit computer and that screen only shows up on the 32-bit ubuntu CD. I would prefer to use a 64-bit OS if possible.

Also, oldfred basically posted the same thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by aaronfranke View Post
    I'm not a retard.
    Did I say you were? No.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronfranke View Post
    I get 2 things listed under "Display Adapters", LogMeIn Mirror Driver (I use this software, this is a internal windows program and it did not affect ubuntu on my old computer) and Nvida GeForceGT 520 (It says its PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0.)
    Is this the card you were talking about? http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/...6&query=gt+520
    If it is, it might be that the live CD doesn't have the drivers for it included-it said it worked with 11.10, but not anything newer or older.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

Is this the card you were talking about? http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/...6&query=gt+520
    If it is, it might be that the live CD doesn't have the drivers for it included-it said it worked with 11.10, but not anything newer or older.
    Ok, everyone I got it to work. The "nomodeset" option was not available, so I edited the boot thingy and typed "nomodeset" like the instructions said. The result was a very ugly yet useable interface.

So, thanks to gordintoronto for linking that page, and thanks to Ubun2to for the semi-complete troubleshooting help.
    Last edited by aaronfranke; August 7th, 2012 at 01:13 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12