Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Screen Graphics Card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Dual Screen Graphics Card

Hi,

My work machine currently runs Ubuntu 12.04 x64, and to maximise productivity I would like to add a new graphics card (PCI Express) that will allow me to support two (or more!) monitors. The card needs to be as cheap as possible and I currently have a pair of VGA screens to use with it.

The card must support a low profile case, I do have a DVI to VGA adapter which I can use with it if need be.

So what card(s) would you advise?

Dan.
    Daniel Groves
    Web Designer and Developer

Portfolio and Blog | Twitter

Beans

Re: Dual Screen Graphics Card

What card are you using now? If you want to use the new card with the old one, you should get the same card or the same brand. Mixing different graphics cards is not impossible, but it is not a good idea.

For a desktop, I would go with some cheap Nvidia like GT210 or GTX430/520. I also have AMD 6850 at work and it works great with two monitors, 6850 is higher end card, but I am sure the cheaper ones will work fine (if you are getting AMD then make sure to pick one of the newer cards like 6xxx or 5xxx, 4xxx will probably work, but I wouldn't buy anything older).

I think pretty much all modern Nvidia and ATI cards would support dual monitor.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your response.

I'm currently using the integrated card thats on the machines motherboard, so no need to worry about using one thats the same brand etc as this one will automatically disable itself in the if an external card is supplied. Are their any particular cards with known issues in Ubuntu? It's been a while since I've had a Linux desktop environment, as I primarily work with it remotely via SSH.

Thanks again.
    Daniel Groves

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danielgroves View Post
    Thanks for your response.

I'm currently using the integrated card thats on the machines motherboard, so no need to worry about using one thats the same brand etc as this one will automatically disable itself in the if an external card is supplied. Are their any particular cards with known issues in Ubuntu? It's been a while since I've had a Linux desktop environment, as I primarily work with it remotely via SSH.

Thanks again.
    Avoid old AMD/ATI cards and everything that has to do with hybrid graphics (i.e. Optimus).

Ubuntu Unity (11.10 and newer) has higher requirements on the video card compared to older Ubuntu or other DE. I would recommend going with Nvidia GTX (i.e. don't use GeForce 9xxx or older). AMD 5xxx and newer should work well too (unless you want to play wine games, everything else works fine).

Actually any new video card would be fine for Unity, you should be worried only if you are getting an old used video card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Well, Unity doesn't require a super intensive graphics card, but you should still try to get one that was released after 2008. That should fulfill the requirements for Unity 3D.
    I recommend buying a video card off Amazon-huge discounts in prices.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    Well, Unity doesn't require a super intensive graphics card, but you should still try to get one that was released after 2008. That should fulfill the requirements for Unity 3D.
    I recommend buying a video card off Amazon-huge discounts in prices.
    Ubun2to has a good point, I should clarify myself.

Unity 3D requires certain desktop effects. Video cards differ in speed and support for standards. For example, GTX280 is a faster video card than GTX430, however, the 430 version supports some effects that 280 doesn't have. Unity requires effects, not speed.

Any new video card would be good enough. If you are buying a used one, go for Nvidia GTX or GT series or AMD 5/6/7xxx series.

Beans
    Distro

So one of these, for example, would be ok? http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/P...ail_41675.html

Any issues anyone can foresee with one? I should not I don't need anything amazing, as a web developer I jsut want to be able to spread out with some extra screen space, as a long as Ubuntu will run smoothly on it with a pair of screens that my only requirement.
    Daniel Groves

Beans

So one of these, for example, would be ok? http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/P...ail_41675.html

Any issues anyone can foresee with one? I should not I don't need anything amazing, as a web developer I jsut want to be able to spread out with some extra screen space, as a long as Ubuntu will run smoothly on it with a pair of screens that my only requirement.
    Should be fine.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    Should be fine.
    Thanks, got one on order now so hopefully that'll be up and running early next week.
    Daniel Groves

Beans
    Distro

as a long as Ubuntu will run smoothly on it with a pair of screens that my only requirement.
    Daniel, I have been running two monitors on 12.04 without any problem

I am now trying to get two graphics cards working so that I can go up to 4 screens and I cannot seem to get both cards to work together, however....

The one issue I have is that most of my monitors are VGA only and so I have to try to use a DVI / VGA converter but...
    the newer DVI sockets have a smaller long slot and no pins either side of them. All of the adapters I have come across seem to have a longer slot and four pins. They don't fit!!
    Mick 'n Keef rock, Chas beats time and Ronnie is the new boy
    Registered as user 466848 with the Linux Counter. Registered Ubuntu User 22858. Our company website or our new venture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast