Thread: How to remove Open Office

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arrow How to remove Open Office

I am sure that this has been addressed before, but I could not figure out how to find it.

I recently upgraded from 10.04 to 12.04

It seems to be working properly, and my laptop is low on space. I need to clean house.

There are not many old Linux images laying around, but I suspect that Open Office is taking up a fair-sized chunk of disk space.

Besides going into Synaptic Package Manager and checking everything with "open-office" in the name for removal, what else should I do, or not do?

Are there any "cleanup" or "maintenance" utilities that I could run, like I do in Windows?

Thanks!
    Athlon 64x2 - 4GB ram - dual boot - Windows 7 + 12.04
    I also use and/or maintain several other computers, some pure Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: How to remove Open Office

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge openoffice
    This should remove open office completely. You may have to delete the .openoffice directory (folder) on your home partition.

As you have limited resources on your computer you might be better off installing Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Hope this helps

Beans

Re: How to remove Open Office

This command will remove packages that are no longer a dependency for other packages or that are out of date.

Code:
    sudo aptitude autoclean
    Also check temporary directories and caches for things like internet browsers. Also Baobab (in the repositories) can help you find large files and folders.
    Last edited by lukeiamyourfather; August 1st, 2012 at 04:27 PM.