Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dell Latitude D630

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Dell Latitude D630

i see, i thought you planned to upgrade to 12.04....

nvidia card should be ok (it not Optimus technology, right? i mean since you have no other card...). you could porbably even install their porprietary drivers. And if it's a laptop you might not be able to upgrade the card since often thse graphics chips are attached to motherboard.

otherwise the easiest way is to run a live system (select "try it") and then see if it all works and what additional drivers are available for install.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Dell Latitude D630

I myself am running 12.04 on my latitude d630 w/ 2gb of RAM. So you really only need to upgrade to 2gb if you want to save the money. If you can easily then yeah go for the max 4gb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK I brought 2GB and installed it and I think it's a good one. Hey MastaBlasta i have heard that many people have complained after their upgrade to 12.04 because it has become slow. What do you think about that? If not then tell what are the plus points of Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I havent made the switch to 12.04 yet - because I do not see a reason to. "If it aint broke dont fix it."

I think 10.04 LTS is the best linux distro out there today. I am going to be sad when it is no longer supported.

There is not a single task that I need to do that I cannot accomplish quickly and easily in 10.04.
    Best,
    Lev

[Personal Blog]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by levlaz View Post
    I havent made the switch to 12.04 yet - because I do not see a reason to. "If it aint broke dont fix it."

I think 10.04 LTS is the best linux distro out there today. I am going to be sad when it is no longer supported.

There is not a single task that I need to do that I cannot accomplish quickly and easily in 10.04.
    You are exactly right 10.04 is the best ubuntu distro of all. On whcih laptop do You use !0.04
    Last edited by SEECo; August 2nd, 2012 at 10:08 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by SEECo View Post
    What do you think about that? If not then tell what are the plus points of Ubuntu 12.04
    new kernel (means new drivers), new progammes, new features and it also has Unity interface.
    i have no idea how unity will work with your card. best way is to run it live see how it works. it will definatelly work with Unity 2D (looks the practicly the same but is not using 3D acceleration).

it is safer and faster to do a clean install of 12.04.

As much as i liked 10.04 on one computer sound stopped working, so i had ot move to 10.10 and then when 10.10 support run out to 12.04. 12.04 sound worked great on start but is now not working anymore. i found a workarround and made a very short script to enable it.

on another ocmputer 10.04 wokred great until it suddenly became super slow (granted computer was really old and low on ram). i replaced 10.04 with Chrunchbang based on Debian Stable.

if 10.04 works great on your mashcine i wouldn't upgrade to 12.04 yet. if oyu need newer programmes you can get them via PPA. and if all works as it should you don't really need the new drivers found in new kernel.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    nvidia card should be ok (it not Optimus technology, right? i mean since you have no other card...). you could porbably even install their porprietary drivers.
    Too old for Optimus I have the D620 (with 2GB RAM), on which I ran Ubuntu until 11.10 when I switched to Xubuntu. I've always used the standard graphics drivers, and not the proprietary ones. I have had no problems doing stuff with Shotwell, GIMP, VLC etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12